Old 30-06-2008, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wisteria Help

I planted a wisteria about a month ago , Its looking very sorry for its self
..
Leaves look a bit dry and are a yellowish green color . and no new growth
What should I do Many thanks

Old 30-06-2008, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

.
Leaves look a bit dry and are a yellowish green color . and no new growth
What should I do Many thanks

Water it. Don't over water it. IOW, how have you been treating it?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-06-2008, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have watered it about twice a week when we have had no rain
"Sacha" wrote in message
On 30/6/08 21:35, in article ,
"Tony
D" wrote:

I planted a wisteria about a month ago , Its looking very sorry for its
self
.
Leaves look a bit dry and are a yellowish green color . and no new growth
What should I do Many thanks

Water it. Don't over water it. IOW, how have you been treating it?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online but not completed - shop to come and some mild
tweaking
to do!)

I have watered it about twice a week when we have had no rain, as for
treating it how do you mean ? also gave it some food about 2weeks ago (
Miricle Gro )

Old 30-06-2008, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/6/08 23:19, in article , "Tony
D" wrote:

I have watered it about twice a week when we have had no rain
"Sacha" wrote in message
On 30/6/08 21:35, in article
,
"Tony
D" wrote:

I planted a wisteria about a month ago , Its looking very sorry for its
self
.
Leaves look a bit dry and are a yellowish green color . and no new growth
What should I do Many thanks

Water it. Don't over water it. IOW, how have you been treating it?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online but not completed - shop to come and some mild
tweaking
to do!)

I have watered it about twice a week when we have had no rain, as for
treating it how do you mean ? also gave it some food about 2weeks ago (
Miricle Gro )

If it's in the rain shadow of your house e.g. close to the walls and under
the guttering, it can dry out, even in apparently wet spells. So it needs
to be well watered while it establishes itself. Feed it in early spring.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 30/6/08 23:19, in article ,
"Tony
D" wrote:

I have watered it about twice a week when we have had no rain
"Sacha" wrote in message
On 30/6/08 21:35, in article
,
"Tony
D" wrote:

[...]

Do you think twice a week is enough

Old 01-07-2008, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 30/6/08 23:19, in article
,
"Tony
D" wrote:

I have watered it about twice a week when we have had no rain
"Sacha" wrote in message
On 30/6/08 21:35, in article
,
"Tony
D" wrote:

[...]

Twice a week is ok so long as the quantity each time is enough, they grow
on the edges of swamps and wet lands in the wild and builders do all they
can to make the area next to our houses dry! but like a lot of climbers
they need time to get a decent root system, after that it should be fine.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 01-07-2008, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/7/08 08:30, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 30/6/08 23:19, in article
,
"Tony
D" wrote:

I have watered it about twice a week when we have had no rain
"Sacha" wrote in message
On 30/6/08 21:35, in article
,
"Tony
D" wrote:

[...]

One of ours fascinates us. It's growing at the base of a mature tree so
must be in competition for water and nutrients, though it's obviously an old
and well-established Wisteria. However, it scrambles right to the top of
the tree every year and flowers like a mad thing. It gets absolutely no
attention whatsoever, not even pruning, because we can't get at it. So it
defies all that is said and prescribed for Wisterias and somehow gets away
with it!

--
Sacha

Old 01-07-2008, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 1/7/08 08:30, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 30/6/08 23:19, in article
,
"Tony
D" wrote:

I have watered it about twice a week when we have had no rain
"Sacha" wrote in message
On 30/6/08 21:35, in article
,

(
[...]

Well gave it a good watering at 2 this morning , and it definitely looks a
bit happier today
will keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't dry out
thanks

Old 01-07-2008, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
One of ours fascinates us. It's growing at the base of a mature tree
so must be in competition for water and nutrients, though it's
obviously an old and well-established Wisteria. However, it scrambles
right to the top of the tree every year and flowers like a mad thing.
It gets absolutely no attention whatsoever, not even pruning, because
we can't get at it. So it defies all that is said and prescribed for
Wisterias and somehow gets away with it!

No, it's consistent. Natural habit is to climb till it can't climb any
further, then the shoots bend over (telling the plant there's no
support, therefore it must be at the top of the canopy) and flowering
side shoots are stimulated.
The pruning regime is to stimulate the side shoots and kid the plant
into thinking it's at the tree tops in an ideal position to flower.
--
Kay