Old 25-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Ira Walters

Default Pond fountain

I have a problem with the pump on my garden pond fountain. It keeps getting
clogged with small insects, leaves and other small debris.

You may have seen the type of 'water feature' in a number of DIY stores - a
plastic pond with hinged-flaps over which are placed pebbles/stones.
Lifting the flaps reveals a number of floating insects among other things!

I'd appreciate any tips from anyone on possible solutions.

Thanks
Ira

Old 25-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Fenny

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
heard Ira Walters say...
I have a problem with the pump on my garden pond fountain. It keeps getting
clogged with small insects, leaves and other small debris.

THere should be a filter on the inlet of the pump. Do you still have
the instructions?

Try tying the end of a pair of tights over the end of the inlet to stop
it sucking things up. Clean as necessary.
--
Fenny
BREAKFST.COM halted . . . cereal port not responding!
Old 25-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Fenny" wrote in message ...
I have a problem with the pump on my garden pond fountain. It keeps

getting
clogged with small insects, leaves and other small debris.

THere should be a filter on the inlet of the pump. Do you still have
the instructions?

Try tying the end of a pair of tights over the end of the inlet to stop
it sucking things up. Clean as necessary.
--

That would work for a bit but normally those pumps have a small foam filter
attached to the inlet that has to be taken off and cleaned every now and

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 26-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Brian Watson

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Fenny" wrote in message ...
I have a problem with the pump on my garden pond fountain. It keeps

getting
clogged with small insects, leaves and other small debris.

THere should be a filter on the inlet of the pump. Do you still have
the instructions?

Try tying the end of a pair of tights over the end of the inlet to stop
it sucking things up. Clean as necessary.
--

That would work for a bit but normally those pumps have a small foam

filter
attached to the inlet that has to be taken off and cleaned every now and
then. If the water has lots of detritus in it then perhaps it's time to
clean out and refill the sump too.

....and you might have to re-site it to minimise the leaves and other debris.

Not easy when you have already got the pond and the options for re-siting
the fountain within the pond may not be very great.

--
Brian
"posting from Sutton, Winner of the English and Welsh Village of the Year

Old 26-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Simon Avery

"Ira Walters" wrote:

Hello Ira

IW I have a problem with the pump on my garden pond fountain.
IW It keeps getting clogged with small insects, leaves and
IW other small debris.

You could try wrapping the whole thing in net curtain to act as a pre-
filter?

New pond - Fountain pipe Ponds 1 06-12-2004 02:12 AM
FS: Small pond, pump, fountain, Victoria BC. $80.00 Colin Ponds 0 28-06-2004 07:07 PM
Mosquito in fountain pond. Help Jim Jam Ponds 3 15-06-2004 09:09 PM
Pebble fountain into pond hedgehog United Kingdom 3 22-04-2003 07:44 AM
Fountain to be left on for how long? Newbie pond questions. Nouix Ponds 3 16-04-2003 06:20 PM