GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New Reader/Poster (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/176701-new-reader-poster.html)

Gordon H 08-07-2008 08:08 PM

New Reader/Poster

Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.
Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

When my wife was alive, I grew many vegetables, but have found it
unrewarding since living alone.
This year I planted half a dozen runner beans and some salad bowl
lettuce, because I like tender beans for stir-fries, and because the
lettuce provides a steady supply of leaves which are sufficient for my
needs.
I have also re-instated my resolve that half an hour in the garden each
day can keep it tidy, after a period of neglect, I'm afraid.
I have only a small garden, 90ft from front to rear of my property, and
mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older,
with shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

I was tempted 'out of cover' by the thread on Physostegia, the first
contribution I have been able to make since reading the group for a few
weeks.
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the interests
of health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter
vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!
--
Gordon H

Bobbie[_2_] 08-07-2008 08:31 PM

New Reader/Poster

Gordon H wrote:
[...]

LOL, But darling, you should have asked me.

Bobbie;-)

John E[_2_] 08-07-2008 09:49 PM

New Reader/Poster

"Gordon H" wrote in message
Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.
Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

I have forgotten most of what I once knew!
--
Gordon H

Yeah, yeah. Seen it all before. :-)

Have you planted that rocket yet?

John

Bob Hobden 08-07-2008 10:45 PM

New Reader/Poster

"Gordon H" wrote
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the interests of
health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

Sorry, but most if not all winter veg should be in and growing by now.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Rusty Hinge 2 09-07-2008 12:31 AM

New Reader/Poster

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.

Welcom to the madhou^h^h^h^h - er - mudhouse.

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

When my wife was alive, I grew many vegetables, but have found it
unrewarding since living alone.
This year I planted half a dozen runner beans and some salad bowl
lettuce, because I like tender beans for stir-fries, and because the
lettuce provides a steady supply of leaves which are sufficient for my
needs.
I have also re-instated my resolve that half an hour in the garden each
day can keep it tidy, after a period of neglect, I'm afraid.

We all make ourselves similar promises...

I have only a small garden, 90ft from front to rear of my property, and
mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older,
with shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

I was tempted 'out of cover' by the thread on Physostegia, the first
contribution I have been able to make since reading the group for a few
weeks.
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the interests
of health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter
vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

I'm sure your basket will be overflowing with suggestions.

I'll start with leeks.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 09-07-2008 12:33 AM

New Reader/Poster

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

"Gordon H" wrote
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the
interests of
health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

Sorry, but most if not all winter veg should be in and growing by now.

Does the world end this year, at long last, then?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_215_] 09-07-2008 08:29 AM

New Reader/Poster

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
[...]

....and kale plants

Gordon H 09-07-2008 09:31 AM

New Reader/Poster

In message , Bobbie
writes
Gordon H wrote:
Hello folks,

[....]
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the
interests of health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for
winter vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

LOL, But darling, you should have asked me.
Bobbie;-)

Oh no!
I would be more likely to ask John, he's your veg gardener.
:)
--
Gordon H

Mary Fisher 09-07-2008 09:36 AM

New Reader/Poster

"Gordon H" wrote in message
Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.
Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older, with
shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

74 isn't ancient!

..
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

No, it's all still in there. Your memory is perfect, like mine.

The retrieval system might be corrupted though :-(

Mary
in Leeds

Gordon H 09-07-2008 09:41 AM

New Reader/Poster

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes
The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Hello folks

Welcom to the madhou^h^h^h^h - er - mudhouse.

Thank you.

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.
It would have been devastating for my wife, but she died before any were
born.

In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the interests
of health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter
vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

I'm sure your basket will be overflowing with suggestions.
I'll start with leeks.

I have grown them in the past, and enjoy them in soups and stir-fries as
an alternative to onions. They were never competition size. ;-)
ISTR that you sow the seeds, then lift and drop the young plants into
dibbed holes in loose soil, water 'em, and wrap them for blanching as
they grow.
I used foam pipe lagging.
--
Gordon H

Gordon H 09-07-2008 09:43 AM

New Reader/Poster

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Gordon H" wrote
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the interests of
health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

Sorry, but most if not all winter veg should be in and growing by now.

Story of my life, Bob. I should have read my "What to do this month
in the garden" book...
It's a short growing season in these parts anyway, with only a cold
frame to help, another snag which has discouraged me in recent years
--
Gordon H

Broadback 09-07-2008 09:54 AM

New Reader/Poster

.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

No, it's all still in there. Your memory is perfect, like mine.

The retrieval system might be corrupted though :-(

Mary
in Leeds

How true, how true Mary in Leeds, I try to recall something from my
memory and it recedes, then later, when I am not trying to pursue it, up
it pops!

Bobbie 09-07-2008 09:59 AM

New Reader/Poster

Gordon H wrote:
In message , Bobbie
writes
Gordon H wrote:
Hello folks,

[....]
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the
interests of health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for
winter vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

LOL, But darling, you should have asked me.
Bobbie;-)

Oh no!
I would be more likely to ask John, he's your veg gardener.
:)

Yeah but who do you think he gets all his information from?
In any case I just know from having lurked for so long, the good people
of urg will be more than happy to give you all the suggestions you are
likely to need.

Bobbie

Mary Fisher 09-07-2008 10:01 AM

New Reader/Poster

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Rusty Hinge 2
writes
The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Hello folks

Welcom to the madhou^h^h^h^h - er - mudhouse.

Thank you.

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.

What's more, the novelty soon wears off.

Mary
whose ten grandchildren range from 23 to 2 yo.

Bobbie 09-07-2008 10:02 AM

New Reader/Poster

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message
Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.
Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older, with
shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

74 isn't ancient!

I keep telling him that Mary, at 71 I think I have a right to protest
such thinking:-)
.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

No, it's all still in there. Your memory is perfect, like mine.

The retrieval system might be corrupted though :-(

Mary
in Leeds

Oh I like that.

Bobbie, Grandma of two little beauties, Scottish by birth, living in Dorset.

Bobbie 09-07-2008 10:06 AM

New Reader/Poster

Broadback wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message
Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.
Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older,
with shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

74 isn't ancient!
.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

No, it's all still in there. Your memory is perfect, like mine.

The retrieval system might be corrupted though :-(

Mary
in Leeds

How true, how true Mary in Leeds, I try to recall something from my
memory and it recedes, then later, when I am not trying to pursue it, up
it pops!

Isn't it amazing, Usually in the middle of the night, that elusive
author or actor or flower name, Latin name of course. wakes you up.
only to go again, just when you want to say it. Tip of the tongue stuff.
I see this is fast becoming off topic, sorry!

Bobbie.

Mary Fisher 09-07-2008 10:25 AM

New Reader/Poster

"Bobbie" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message
[...]

No, you NEED the Linnaean name if you're a gardener. Absolutely on-topic.

I keep a paper and pen on the bedside cabinet. Trouble is, I usually
remember those vital things when I'm sitting, erm, somewhere else.

At the moment I'm trying to prepare for our cruise, we've never done
anything like it before and have to make a packing list. I'm very efficient,
the list is on the pc.

Which isn't in the smallest room and which is switched off during the night.

Some new technology is needed - thought transference to electronic
recording. In the next two weeks, please.

Mary

Bobbie.

Mary Fisher 09-07-2008 10:27 AM

New Reader/Poster

"Bobbie" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message
Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.
Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older,
with shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

74 isn't ancient!

I keep telling him that Mary, at 71 I think I have a right to protest such
thinking:-)

Indeed.
.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

No, it's all still in there. Your memory is perfect, like mine.

The retrieval system might be corrupted though :-(

Mary
in Leeds

Oh I like that.

I've been saying it for such a long time that I think it might be original.
But I shan't charge royalties :-)

Bobbie, Grandma of two little beauties, Scottish by birth, living in
Dorset.

I can't keep track of the nationalities of our family, I do know that I was
born about two miles from here and haven't lived any further away. Spouse
didn't tell me that his grandmother was Irish until we'd tied the knot, I
thought I was continuing the tradition of being pure English.

Whatever that is :-)

Mary

Sacha[_3_] 09-07-2008 10:28 AM

New Reader/Poster

On 9/7/08 09:54, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message
Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.
Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older, with
shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

74 isn't ancient!
.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

No, it's all still in there. Your memory is perfect, like mine.

The retrieval system might be corrupted though :-(

Mary
in Leeds

How true, how true Mary in Leeds, I try to recall something from my
memory and it recedes, then later, when I am not trying to pursue it, up
it pops!

Plant names do that to both of us. Something we knew perfectly well ten
minutes ago goes wandering off into the ether when wanted! An hour or three
or four later one or the other of us goes "Got It!!"
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Bobbie 09-07-2008 10:34 AM

New Reader/Poster

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bobbie" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message
[...]

Ashamed to admit, I had to look that one up: Linnaean?
"A taxonomic category of related organisms ranking below a subclass and
above an order".
Actually I was none the wiser but further reading, convinced me I was
vastly out of touch:
"Current systems of classifying forms of life descend from the thought
presented by the Greek philosopher Aristotle"
LOL.
Could we stick to common-or-garden names please.g

Bobbie

Gordon H 09-07-2008 10:34 AM

New Reader/Poster

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.

What's more, the novelty soon wears off.

Mary
whose ten grandchildren range from 23 to 2 yo.

8-)

My neighbour has four, ages from 22 to about 8, and she has done more
than her share. Of course two of them are now at the 'useful' age,
her grandson cleaned our gutters out last year, my wooden ladders are
too heavy for me now.
--
Gordon H

Gordon H 09-07-2008 10:37 AM

New Reader/Poster

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older, with
shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

74 isn't ancient!

It feels it sometimes.
.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

No, it's all still in there. Your memory is perfect, like mine.
The retrieval system might be corrupted though :-(

Mary
in Leeds

I have to agree with you. I can remember things when I am not
*trying* to remember them, but remembering names 'on demand' is
hopeless.
--
Gordon H

Gordon H 09-07-2008 10:39 AM

New Reader/Poster

In message , Broadback
writes

I try to recall something from my memory and it recedes, then later,
when I am not trying to pursue it, up it pops!

I know, I know! Friends and family are fascinated by my recollection
of simple anecdotes from my past. Their eyes glaze over in
admiration...
--
Gordon H

Sacha[_3_] 09-07-2008 10:52 AM

New Reader/Poster

On 9/7/08 10:34, in article , "Bobbie"
wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bobbie" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message
[...]

"
Carl Linnaeus, also known as Carl von Linné or Carolus Linnaeus, is often
called the Father of Taxonomy. His system for naming, ranking, and
classifying organisms is still in wide use today (with many changes). His
ideas on classification have influenced generations of biologists during and
after his own lifetime, even those opposed to the philosophical and
theological roots of his work."
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/linnaeus.html

Knowing the Latin names of plants is useful because then you can talk about
them with anyone anywhere in the world. For example, what we call mimosa is
Acacia but what the Americans call mimosa is Albizia, so confusion arises
easily. That said, some of the common names for plants have an enchantment
all of their own.

Gordon H 09-07-2008 11:12 AM

New Reader/Poster

In message , Sacha
writes

Carl Linnaeus, also known as Carl von Linné or Carolus Linnaeus, is often
called the Father of Taxonomy. His system for naming, ranking, and
classifying organisms is still in wide use today (with many changes). His
ideas on classification have influenced generations of biologists during and
after his own lifetime, even those opposed to the philosophical and
theological roots of his work."
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/linnaeus.html

Knowing the Latin names of plants is useful because then you can talk about
them with anyone anywhere in the world. For example, what we call mimosa is
Acacia but what the Americans call mimosa is Albizia, so confusion arises
easily. That said, some of the common names for plants have an enchantment
all of their own.

My close lady friend, raised in a small village, has her own set of
names for wildflowers. It was only by asking around that I
discovered that her Mother-Die is Cow Parsley. On Wednesdays I am
usually among people who know wildflowers, but it is an uphill struggle
for me to memorise even the common names. I have a book to look up
their Latin classification.
--
Gordon H

Mary Fisher 09-07-2008 11:40 AM

New Reader/Poster

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.

What's more, the novelty soon wears off.

Mary
whose ten grandchildren range from 23 to 2 yo.

8-)

My neighbour has four, ages from 22 to about 8, and she has done more than
her share. Of course two of them are now at the 'useful' age, her
grandson cleaned our gutters out last year, my wooden ladders are too
heavy for me now.

We got rid of those years ago, aluminium is much lighter than wood, doesn't
rot if left outside and last for ever, seemingly.

Yes, big (ours are all several inches taller than us) grandsons can be very
useful. Even better is when they come round and ask if there are any jobs
they can do? Doesn't happen often but we do try to oblige :-)

Mary
--
Gordon H

Mary Fisher 09-07-2008 11:42 AM

New Reader/Poster

"Gordon H" wrote in message

My close lady friend, raised in a small village, has her own set of names
for wildflowers. It was only by asking around that I discovered that
her Mother-Die is Cow Parsley.

That was common here when I was a child.

On Wednesdays I am
usually among people who know wildflowers, but it is an uphill struggle
for me to memorise even the common names. I have a book to look up their
Latin classification.

Don't bother trying to remember, if you're going to remember you will, if
you're not you won't. Or it might come back in bed.

Surely at our age we have the confidence not to need to know?

Anything!

We can just nod sagely and say that with age comes wisdom - the wisdom to
keep quiet.

Mary

Mary Fisher 09-07-2008 11:43 AM

New Reader/Poster

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Broadback
writes

I try to recall something from my memory and it recedes, then later, when
I am not trying to pursue it, up it pops!

I know, I know! Friends and family are fascinated by my recollection of
simple anecdotes from my past. Their eyes glaze over in admiration...

Funny, I've experienced that too.

Mary

Sacha[_3_] 09-07-2008 12:29 PM

New Reader/Poster

On 9/7/08 11:12, in article , "Gordon H"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

[...]

Nothing wrong with looking it up in books - lots of people do that including
professionals!

Rusty Hinge 2 09-07-2008 01:34 PM

New Reader/Poster

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Some new technology is needed - thought transference to electronic
recording. In the next two weeks, please.

You didn't hear Tim Berners-Lee on Rajo4 this morning, then?

He's working on it - Semantic Computing, and a Semantic Internet using
RDF format...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 09-07-2008 01:36 PM

New Reader/Poster

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Plant names do that to both of us. Something we knew perfectly well ten
minutes ago goes wandering off into the ether when wanted! An hour or three
or four later one or the other of us goes "Got It!!"

And by that time, it's past lunchtime, and you don't want courgettes for
tea...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Sacha[_3_] 09-07-2008 02:04 PM

New Reader/Poster

On 9/7/08 13:36, in article ,
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Plant names do that to both of us. Something we knew perfectly well ten
minutes ago goes wandering off into the ether when wanted! An hour or three
or four later one or the other of us goes "Got It!!"

And by that time, it's past lunchtime, and you don't want courgettes for
tea...

;-)) Toms are doing brilliantly though and so are cucs.

Mary Fisher 09-07-2008 02:14 PM

New Reader/Poster

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Some new technology is needed - thought transference to electronic
recording. In the next two weeks, please.

You didn't hear Tim Berners-Lee on Rajo4 this morning, then?

I was asleep until 8.30 am then in the greenhouse.

He's working on it - Semantic Computing, and a Semantic Internet using
RDF format...

I need it in the next forthnight.

sigh

Might as well talk to myself, no other b ever listens :-(

Mary

Gordon H 09-07-2008 02:27 PM

New Reader/Poster

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Some new technology is needed - thought transference to electronic
recording. In the next two weeks, please.

You didn't hear Tim Berners-Lee on Rajo4 this morning, then?

He's working on it - Semantic Computing, and a Semantic Internet using
RDF format...

How does anyone start the day without listening to Terday?
--
Gordon H

Gordon H 09-07-2008 02:31 PM

New Reader/Poster

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Gordon H" wrote

Friends and family are fascinated by my recollection of
simple anecdotes from my past. Their eyes glaze over in admiration...

Funny, I've experienced that too.

Mary

Then there's the co-worker who arrives back from a fortnight's holiday
and her story starts where she got out of the bath on the day of
departure.
--
Gordon H

Bobbie 09-07-2008 05:33 PM

New Reader/Poster

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Some new technology is needed - thought transference to electronic
recording. In the next two weeks, please.

You didn't hear Tim Berners-Lee on Rajo4 this morning, then?

I was asleep until 8.30 am then in the greenhouse.
He's working on it - Semantic Computing, and a Semantic Internet using
RDF format...

I need it in the next forthnight.

sigh

Might as well talk to myself, no other b ever listens :-(

Mary

This B is listening. but sadly can't help.
I have been busy studying a Planting Calendar posted elsewhere. I shall
store all the knowledge and then totally overwhelm my man when I recite
it later.
I don't suppose you know how to keep a daft chicken out of the kitchen?

Bobbie.

Rusty Hinge 2 09-07-2008 05:35 PM

New Reader/Poster

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Some new technology is needed - thought transference to electronic
recording. In the next two weeks, please.

You didn't hear Tim Berners-Lee on Rajo4 this morning, then?

I was asleep until 8.30 am then in the greenhouse.

He's working on it - Semantic Computing, and a Semantic Internet using
RDF format...

I need it in the next forthnight.

sigh

Might as well talk to myself, no other b ever listens :-(

Did someone say something?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 09-07-2008 05:36 PM

New Reader/Poster

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:
In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Gordon H" wrote

Friends and family are fascinated by my recollection of
simple anecdotes from my past. Their eyes glaze over in admiration...

Funny, I've experienced that too.

Mary

Then there's the co-worker who arrives back from a fortnight's holiday
and her story starts where she got out of the bath on the day of
departure.

With demonstrations?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Judith in France 09-07-2008 06:08 PM

New Reader/Poster

On Jul 9, 5:33 pm, Bobbie wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

If anyone does Bobbie, Mary will know, she is an expert on chickens.
BTW welcome to urg, it's a lovely group with lovely people, I hope you
enjoy it here.

Judith