GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Allotments (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/177029-allotments.html)

Pete C[_2_] 19-07-2008 05:00 PM

Allotments

Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet please.
Ta :)
--
Pete C
London UK

[email protected] 19-07-2008 05:50 PM

Allotments

On 19 Jul, 17:00, "Pete C" wrote:
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet please.
Ta :)

Hullo - lotties are usually 10 rods, for the oldest ones, which is
10mx25m - 250sqm. What are you cooking, new plots? ;o)

Pete C[_2_] 19-07-2008 06:03 PM

Allotments

wrote:
On 19 Jul, 17:00, "Pete C" wrote:
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet
please. Ta :)

Hullo - lotties are usually 10 rods, for the oldest ones, which is
10mx25m - 250sqm. What are you cooking, new plots? ;o)

Will soon need a mortgage to buy veg! And supermarket stuff is cr*p.
I'm single, so I think a lottie would be too big for my needs. I'm trying to
find someone to share.............if I can get one!
--
Pete C
London UK

[email protected] 19-07-2008 06:19 PM

Allotments

On 19 Jul, 18:03, "Pete C" wrote:
Will soon need a mortgage to buy veg! And supermarket stuff is cr*p.

I'm single, so I think a lottie would be too big for my needs. I'm trying to
find someone to share.............if I can get one!

Excellent! But at an average of £20/year to rent a 10 rods, even if
you think that could be too big, don't! You will soon find you can
grow lots of stuff, and go on trying and experimenting even more. I
now regret having given away my other half. It was at a time when I
became terribly busy at work and felt sorry for the hundreds on a
waiting list to get a plot. Now, if only I could put my hands back on
that other half!!! Friends are flocking to it now, just to sit and
admire and nible at the produce. You could soon find someone to help
you I'm sure. Also you can green manure beds you don't use, you can
grow flowers too which is very beneficial ... Listen to me!! Get a
whole one if you can. You won't regret it! I bet you're planning what
to grow now. Isn't it just great ;o)

Pete C[_2_] 19-07-2008 07:21 PM

Allotments

wrote:
On 19 Jul, 18:03, "Pete C" wrote:
[...]

Hehe........I love your enthusiasm! I've mailed in an enquiry form to my
local council. Picked the 5 closest sites............will see what happens.
My garden is tiny, and is now half pond. I've grown carrots, peas, various
beans onions etc in the past. Fav was sweetcorn, yum.
If I manage to get one, you/this group might regret you pushing me, cos the
question list will be looooong! :)
--
Pete C
London UK

Mary Fisher 19-07-2008 07:48 PM

Allotments

"Pete C" wrote in message
On 19 Jul, 17:00, "Pete C" wrote:
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet
please. Ta :)

Hullo - lotties are usually 10 rods, for the oldest ones, which is
10mx25m - 250sqm. What are you cooking, new plots? ;o)

Will soon need a mortgage to buy veg! And supermarket stuff is cr*p.

Not all of it.

Shouldn't be difficult to find someone to share.

Mary

Bob Hobden 19-07-2008 07:54 PM

Allotments

"Pete C" wrote ...
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet please.
Ta :)

Allotments are measured in square Rods, and a Rod is 5.5 yards or 16.5 feet
(approx 5 metres).
As Helen has said they are usually 10 sq. Rods but most Councils rent out
half or even quarter plots. Most allotment sites are not perfectly square so
there are always some odd shaped and sized plots available. Ask.
We used to have 15 sq rods but on the new site we have now been told ours is
7.5 sq Rods which is proving adequate with only one path down the middle and
being careful about not wasting space.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Pete C[_2_] 19-07-2008 07:55 PM

Allotments

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
On 19 Jul, 17:00, "Pete C" wrote:
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet
please. Ta :)

Hullo - lotties are usually 10 rods, for the oldest ones, which is
10mx25m - 250sqm. What are you cooking, new plots? ;o)

Will soon need a mortgage to buy veg! And supermarket stuff is cr*p.

Not all of it.

Morrisons is, with Asda not much better. Brocolli and parsnips bought last
night were unuseable this morning. 8 mile drive to a Somerfields got me some
really fresh stuff, but at twice the price.
--
Pete C Spade ready
London UK

Mary Fisher 19-07-2008 07:59 PM

Allotments

"Pete C" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
On 19 Jul, 17:00, "Pete C" wrote:
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet
please. Ta :)

Hullo - lotties are usually 10 rods, for the oldest ones, which is
10mx25m - 250sqm. What are you cooking, new plots? ;o)
Will soon need a mortgage to buy veg! And supermarket stuff is cr*p.

Not all of it.

Morrisons is, with Asda not much better.

Yebbut you're talking about the lower end of supplies.

Brocolli and parsnips bought last night were unuseable this morning. 8
mile drive to a Somerfields got me some really fresh stuff, but at twice
the price.

So is Somerfields. And Tesco. Sainsbury is good for keeping the riff-raff
out of Waitrose ... :-)

Don't you have a farmers' market? IO wouldn't hve thought parsnips and
brocolli were seasonal for UK.

Go for the allotment. If it's too big just rent the other half to someone
else - with a profit.

Mary

Sacha[_3_] 19-07-2008 10:20 PM

Allotments

On 19/7/08 18:03, in article , "Pete C"

On 19 Jul, 17:00, "Pete C" wrote:
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet
please. Ta :)

Hullo - lotties are usually 10 rods, for the oldest ones, which is
10mx25m - 250sqm. What are you cooking, new plots? ;o)

Will soon need a mortgage to buy veg! And supermarket stuff is cr*p.
I'm single, so I think a lottie would be too big for my needs. I'm trying to
find someone to share.............if I can get one!

Depends on the rules of your allotment group but if you're allowed to,
perhaps you can sell what you don't use yourself, or you could give it to
neighbours and so forth.....
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Judith in France 19-07-2008 10:22 PM

Allotments

On Jul 19, 7:21 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
wrote:
On 19 Jul, 18:03, "Pete C" wrote:
[...]

Your garden is gorgeous Pete, I love your water feature.

Judith

Pete C[_2_] 19-07-2008 10:29 PM

Allotments

Judith in France wrote:
snippy
Your garden is gorgeous Pete, I love your water feature.

Judith

Why thank you young lady. :)
Long time no speak.
--
Pete C
London UK

Ed 19-07-2008 10:37 PM

Allotments

On 19/07/08 17:00, Pete C wrote:
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet please.
Ta :)

Pete,

On my allotment , the sizes of plots are all different. The tenancy now
is to break standard sized plots up into halves when they become vacant
because of the waiting list.

I have a half plot. In English money, this is about 35 ft x 45 ft.

Ed

Pete C[_2_] 19-07-2008 10:40 PM

Allotments

C" wrote:

wrote:
On 19 Jul, 17:00, "Pete C" wrote:
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet
please. Ta :)

Hullo - lotties are usually 10 rods, for the oldest ones, which is
10mx25m - 250sqm. What are you cooking, new plots? ;o)

Will soon need a mortgage to buy veg! And supermarket stuff is cr*p.
I'm single, so I think a lottie would be too big for my needs. I'm
trying to find someone to share.............if I can get one!

Depends on the rules of your allotment group but if you're allowed to,
perhaps you can sell what you don't use yourself, or you could give
it to neighbours and so forth.....

I've been thinking along those lines. Circulate neighbours with what I'm
growing. Orders in Friday, delivered fresh Saturday. LOL

--
Pete C
London UK

Judith in France 19-07-2008 11:04 PM

Allotments

On Jul 19, 10:29 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:

snippy Your garden is gorgeous Pete, I love your water feature.

Judith

Why thank you young lady. :)
Long time no speak.
--