Old 19-07-2008, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotments

Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet please.
Ta
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 19-07-2008, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Jul, 17:00, "Pete C" wrote:
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet please.
Ta

Hullo - lotties are usually 10 rods, for the oldest ones, which is
10mx25m - 250sqm. What are you cooking, new plots? ;o)
Old 19-07-2008, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Jul, 18:03, "Pete C" wrote:
Will soon need a mortgage to buy veg! And supermarket stuff is cr*p.

I'm single, so I think a lottie would be too big for my needs. I'm trying to
find someone to share.............if I can get one!

Excellent! But at an average of £20/year to rent a 10 rods, even if
you think that could be too big, don't! You will soon find you can
grow lots of stuff, and go on trying and experimenting even more. I
now regret having given away my other half. It was at a time when I
became terribly busy at work and felt sorry for the hundreds on a
waiting list to get a plot. Now, if only I could put my hands back on
that other half!!! Friends are flocking to it now, just to sit and
admire and nible at the produce. You could soon find someone to help
you I'm sure. Also you can green manure beds you don't use, you can
grow flowers too which is very beneficial ... Listen to me!! Get a
whole one if you can. You won't regret it! I bet you're planning what
to grow now. Isn't it just great ;o)

Old 19-07-2008, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On 19 Jul, 18:03, "Pete C" wrote:
[...]

Hehe........I love your enthusiasm! I've mailed in an enquiry form to my
local council. Picked the 5 closest sites............will see what happens.
My garden is tiny, and is now half pond. I've grown carrots, peas, various
beans onions etc in the past. Fav was sweetcorn, yum.
If I manage to get one, you/this group might regret you pushing me, cos the
question list will be looooong!
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 19-07-2008, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote ...
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet please.
Ta

Allotments are measured in square Rods, and a Rod is 5.5 yards or 16.5 feet
(approx 5 metres).
As Helen has said they are usually 10 sq. Rods but most Councils rent out
half or even quarter plots. Most allotment sites are not perfectly square so
there are always some odd shaped and sized plots available. Ask.
We used to have 15 sq rods but on the new site we have now been told ours is
7.5 sq Rods which is proving adequate with only one path down the middle and
being careful about not wasting space.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-07-2008, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 19, 7:21 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
wrote:
On 19 Jul, 18:03, "Pete C" wrote:
[...]

Your garden is gorgeous Pete, I love your water feature.

Judith
Old 19-07-2008, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
snippy
Your garden is gorgeous Pete, I love your water feature.

Judith

Why thank you young lady.
Long time no speak.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 19-07-2008, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 19/07/08 17:00, Pete C wrote:
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet please.
Ta

Pete,

On my allotment , the sizes of plots are all different. The tenancy now
is to break standard sized plots up into halves when they become vacant
because of the waiting list.

I have a half plot. In English money, this is about 35 ft x 45 ft.

Ed

Old 19-07-2008, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 19, 10:29 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:

snippy Your garden is gorgeous Pete, I love your water feature.

Judith

Why thank you young lady.
Long time no speak.
--