Old 19-07-2008, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default orchid ID

Hello all,
Could you help me identify this orchid I've just bought?
Nothing at all on the label and without at least the species name, it's
quite difficult to search the web.
Thanks!
Gogo

http://www.gogo.me.uk/my_orchids/neworchid1.jpg
http://www.gogo.me.uk/my_orchids/neworchid2.jpg
Old 19-07-2008, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gogo" wrote ...
Hello all,
Could you help me identify this orchid I've just bought?
Nothing at all on the label and without at least the species name, it's
quite difficult to search the web.
Thanks!
Gogo

http://www.gogo.me.uk/my_orchids/neworchid1.jpg
http://www.gogo.me.uk/my_orchids/neworchid2.jpg

Looks like one of the easiest Orchids to grow ... Encyclia cochleata (syn
with Prosthechea cochleata)

http://www.abundaflora.com/enc_coch.htm

http://www.usbg.gov/plant-collection...-cochleata.cfm

http://www.orchidweb.com/orchidofweek.aspx?id=52

I've had one for years bought at one of the sheds and it sits on a high
shelf in my N. facing greenhouse and gets watered with the lance from the
tap like all the other plants. It's mostly now walked out of it's pot and is
once again in full flower.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-07-2008, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Cheers!
I hope I'll be as lucky as you! I had a few success stories with orchids
on my kitchen window sills (see http://www.gogo.me.uk/my_orchids),
esp Burrageara which has been blooming for several years now. I thought
I'd try another "unusual" one...
Gogo
Old 19-07-2008, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gogo" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

All the others are generic crosses but this is a species orchid, like ones
that grow in the wild, but unlike most species orchids they are not
difficult to grow.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-07-2008, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

. It's mostly now walked out of it's pot

Sorry to digress from orchids - I have no experience of them - but your
phrase amused me. I have a rose that is "walking out of it's pot" too. I
am a sucker for buying plants that are dying in Wilkinson's and seem to have
no chance of survival if someone doesn't buy them very soon.
I bought a rose called "Night Queen" there, with one tiny green leaf on to
show it was still alive, brought it home and planted it in a gallon bucket.
Which it is now walking out of... the roots are so strong that it's forcing
itself upwards out of the bucket.
It's a lovely rose, deep red and hybrid tea shaped blooms, but the stems are
weak which makes the blooms droop and an inclination to get black spot too.
Not much scent either.
My hostas which I also rescued almost dead from Wilkinson's are doing
brilliantly and flowering atm. They do have a few holes through snail
damage but I am using an organic slug pellet which is working well.

Old 20-07-2008, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

The epiphytic orchids do that, they grow and send out roots outside the pot
and eventually more is outside than in unless you repot. My attitude is if
it's happy (growing and flowering) leave it alone. A lot grow with their
roots dangling in the air in the wild anyway.

Regarding that rose you may find that if you planted it in the ground it
changed it's habit, strengthened up and perhaps got some scent, I've had
spray carnations, from cuttings of bought flowers which had no scent, turn
into the most wonderfully perfumed plants when planted out.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden