GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New web site - finally.... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/177104-new-web-site-finally.html)

Sacha[_3_] 21-07-2008 07:40 PM

New web site - finally....

It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Pete C[_2_] 21-07-2008 08:38 PM

New web site - finally....

Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Lovely site.
However, I wish I hadn't looked! Such beautiful and unusual plants. Being
used to the run of the mill stuff in my local nurseries, I'm stunned. I
might need a second mortgage :)
--
Pete C
London UK

Judith in France 21-07-2008 09:10 PM

New web site - finally....

On Jul 21, 7:40 pm, Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

It is fabulous Sacha, I just wish I could place an order for some
hardy plants in France, I wonder if the postage would be
extortionate? Well done to you, Ray and Matthew. p.s. wonderful
cakes, do you do mail order in the UK for these?

Judith

Sacha[_3_] 21-07-2008 10:44 PM

New web site - finally....

On 21/7/08 20:38, in article , "Pete C"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com
Lovely site.
However, I wish I hadn't looked! Such beautiful and unusual plants. Being
used to the run of the mill stuff in my local nurseries, I'm stunned. I
might need a second mortgage :)

Combine it with a Devon holiday. ; -) And thank you for the reaction!

Sacha[_3_] 21-07-2008 10:45 PM

New web site - finally....

On 21/7/08 20:27, in article ,
"AriesVal" wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:40:12 +0100, Sacha wrote:

It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Well done:) From what I've seen so far it looks very good, brilliant in fact
:)

Thanks, Val. Time you paid us a visit from 'oop north'. ;-))

Sacha[_3_] 21-07-2008 10:49 PM

New web site - finally....

On 21/7/08 21:10, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Jul 21, 7:40 pm, Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

It is fabulous Sacha, I just wish I could place an order for some
hardy plants in France, I wonder if the postage would be
extortionate? Well done to you, Ray and Matthew. p.s. wonderful
cakes, do you do mail order in the UK for these?

Judith

I don't think you could send the cakes, Judith. In a sense, they're nothing
to do with us at all. I just think Joanna's work is so fabulous that I
wanted to show it on our site to give her some well-deserved publicity for
her wonderful part time work. If anyone wants to order one of her cakes
they'd have to be in a position to discuss it with her and pick it up
personally. She learned flower arranging so as to learn more about flowers
and how to make them and arrange them, in sugar. Every single one of those
roses and the ivy leaves on the cakes are hand made in sugar icing by her.
As to sending to Europe, I really don't know costs yet because we're just
making an early start here but it will be something we will be looking at,
certainly.

Chris S 22-07-2008 11:31 AM

New web site - finally....

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Looks good, Sacha - I wish you well with your mail order.
Chris S

Emery Davis[_2_] 22-07-2008 03:04 PM

New web site - finally....

Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Congratulations Sacha (and family).

Question about the Wedding Cake tree. I list this in my plant list as
Cornus controversa 'Variegata',
as does the old RHS reference I have. You list it as C. alternifolia
'Variegata', under the Pagoda Dogwood
rather than the Giant Dogwood.

I have a C. alternifolia 'Winter Orange' that was sold to me under the
name C. controversa, then the nursery
changed the name in their catalog to go along with the prevailing usage.

I wonder if the Wedding Cake tree has gone through a similar
reclassification, and I should maybe change
it in my garden records... I also grow C. alternifolia 'Argentia'
(which is slower growing than controversa),
but it is clearly a different (and finer leaved) plant. But both lovely
in their own way.

cheers,

-E

P.S. one comment, if one could search for available plants by genus it
would be even easier to
navigate the site.

gavin[_2_] 22-07-2008 07:07 PM

New web site - finally....

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Looks good - but... I see you're using something called RapidWeaver which I
haven't heard of before (I don't use a Mac) and if that's the code it
generates I'm not impressed. Why all the JavaScript? What happens if I turn
it off - not a lot - I can't see the Flash slideshow but not much else as
far as I can see. Why is the text all PNGs? That is not at all accessible
which in this day and age is a big black mark! Sorry to put a dampener on
things :-(

Sacha[_3_] 22-07-2008 10:28 PM

New web site - finally....

On 22/7/08 15:04, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

We've seen both called the wedding cake tree so it's anyone's guess which is
truly which. We're certainly open to correction!

P.S. one comment, if one could search for available plants by genus it
would be even easier to
navigate the site.

If the plant catalogue online gets bigger we may get to that but so far,
people seem to like to browse, rather as they do in the Nursery itself.

Sacha[_3_] 22-07-2008 10:29 PM

New web site - finally....

On 22/7/08 19:07, in article ,
"gavin" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Looks good - but... I see you're using something called RapidWeaver which I
haven't heard of before (I don't use a Mac) and if that's the code it
generates I'm not impressed. Why all the JavaScript? What happens if I turn
it off - not a lot - I can't see the Flash slideshow but not much else as
far as I can see. Why is the text all PNGs? That is not at all accessible
which in this day and age is a big black mark! Sorry to put a dampener on
things :-(

Not a dampener at all. I'm happy to pass this on to the guru.

Judith in France 22-07-2008 10:30 PM

New web site - finally....

On Jul 21, 10:49 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 21/7/08 21:10, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jul 21, 7:40 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Sacha, I didn't see Ray's Nemisia?

Judith

Sacha[_3_] 22-07-2008 10:32 PM

New web site - finally....

On 22/7/08 11:31, in article , "Chris S"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Looks good, Sacha - I wish you well with your mail order.
Chris S

Many thanks, Chris. I'm sure we'll keep tinkering but it's nice to have it
up and running.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and emails - mainly positive but all
suggestions, adverse or otherwise have been taken onboard and passed along.
Many go right over my head so I can't otherwise comment! Thank you all.

gavin[_2_] 22-07-2008 10:44 PM

New web site - finally....

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 22/7/08 19:07, in article ,
"gavin" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Looks good - but... I see you're using something called RapidWeaver which
haven't heard of before (I don't use a Mac) and if that's the code it
generates I'm not impressed. Why all the JavaScript? What happens if I
turn
it off - not a lot - I can't see the Flash slideshow but not much else as
far as I can see. Why is the text all PNGs? That is not at all accessible
which in this day and age is a big black mark! Sorry to put a dampener on
things :-(

Not a dampener at all. I'm happy to pass this on to the guru.

Thanks, Sacha. I know this is strictly speaking off-topic but I'd be
interested in his/her comments.

Sacha[_3_] 22-07-2008 11:24 PM

New web site - finally....

On 22/7/08 22:30, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Jul 21, 10:49 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 21/7/08 21:10, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jul 21, 7:40 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

We sell that here in 9cm pots and sometimes pot it on to 1 or 2l pots. It's
so widely available here and worldwide (other than Australasia) that I don't
think we'd expect anyone to want it mail order. But we do hope people will
enquire if they don't see something they really want that we might have.

Sacha[_3_] 22-07-2008 11:28 PM

New web site - finally....

On 22/7/08 22:44, in article ,
"gavin" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 22/7/08 19:07, in article ,
"gavin" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Looks good - but... I see you're using something called RapidWeaver which
haven't heard of before (I don't use a Mac) and if that's the code it
generates I'm not impressed. Why all the JavaScript? What happens if I
turn
it off - not a lot - I can't see the Flash slideshow but not much else as
far as I can see. Why is the text all PNGs? That is not at all accessible
which in this day and age is a big black mark! Sorry to put a dampener on
things :-(

Not a dampener at all. I'm happy to pass this on to the guru.

Thanks, Sacha. I know this is strictly speaking off-topic but I'd be
interested in his/her comments.

I can email you with them if I have his permission to do so. I don't think
I'd be comfortable to do that unless he wanted to throw it open to
discussion. I should probably say at this point - and should have done so
before - that part of the reason for using RapidWeaver is that it's easy for
the amateurs to use, too. We don't want something that I have to call him
in for every time I want to change a photo or update some text. This is a
new venture and small beginnings for us. If it develops and gets bigger we
have always agreed that we might look at other methods and programs. I've
sent your comments on and I'm genuinely grateful for them.

Emery Davis[_2_] 23-07-2008 12:01 AM

New web site - finally....

Davis" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

Verified that at least to the RHS Horticultural Database, C. controversa
'Variegata'
(which it looks to me is what you've got, although hard to be sure from
the pic) is
called the Wedding Cake Tree. This would also explain the faster than
expected
growth.

For C. alternifolia 'Variegata' they list this as synonymous with
'Argentea', with
a common name of "Silver Pagoda Dogwood." I think this finer leaved
(and slower
growing, reputed difficult although I've had no problems) plant is not
what you've
got in the picture.

Just one opinion, worth no more or less than the paper it's printed on! ;)

cheers,

-E

gavin[_2_] 23-07-2008 12:03 AM

New web site - finally....

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 22/7/08 22:44, in article
,
"gavin" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 22/7/08 19:07, in article
,
"gavin" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I fully understand and respect that, Sacha. Whatever tool people use to get
the job done fine as far as I'm concerned - with a couple of provisos.
Firstly the code should validate - however, I understand that most graphical
editors don't generate "clean" code. But far more important than that are
accessibility issues. I truly believe that all web designers/webmasters
(call us what you will) have a huge moral responsibility in this area. I'll
get off my soap box now :-)

Sacha[_3_] 23-07-2008 12:15 AM

New web site - finally....

On 23/7/08 00:01, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 22/7/08 15:04, in article
, "Emery
Davis" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

It's all worth something, Emery. I'll try to remember to take a close up
and put it on here. Life is a bit full at present but I will try to get to
that. We're absolutely open to information and opinion because this isn't
one we grew ourselves.

Ed 23-07-2008 08:56 AM

New web site - finally....

On 21/07/08 19:40, Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Your site needs some serious work to make it generally usable.

You will get a lot of good advice if you ask the guys over at the
alt.html.critique newsgroup.

Judith in France 23-07-2008 09:59 AM

New web site - finally....

On Jul 23, 8:56 am, Ed ex@directory wrote:
On 21/07/08 19:40, Sacha wrote:

It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Your site needs some serious work to make it generally usable.

You will get a lot of good advice if you ask the guys over at the
alt.html.critique newsgroup.

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith

Kate Morgan 23-07-2008 11:52 AM

New web site - finally....

snip

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith

and so say all of us Sacha friends and family, great site and very
tempting. I cant have any more plants as we are hoping to be moving to
Scotland as soon as we sell this one - anyone want a house in sunny
Gloucestershire ? - however I will be picking your brains as and when we get
to where we are going :-)

kate

Sacha[_3_] 23-07-2008 03:30 PM

New web site - finally....

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article net, "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith

and so say all of us Sacha friends and family, great site and very
tempting. I cant have any more plants as we are hoping to be moving to
Scotland as soon as we sell this one - anyone want a house in sunny
Gloucestershire ? - however I will be picking your brains as and when we get
to where we are going :-)

kate

I've had some very helpful email with regard the technical aspects of the
site, optimising its viewing etc. I'm extremely grateful for that, as well
as for the kind comments from the less techie types. ;-)

Kathryn Selfe 23-07-2008 04:02 PM

we have just completed our web site as well, and i can fully agree that it has been responsible for many headaches this end!!! I have looked at your site and it is good our site is www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk

All the best with your business

Kathryn

Carreglefn Nurseries
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacha[_3_] (Post 805378)

Sacha[_3_] 23-07-2008 04:26 PM

New web site - finally....

On 23/7/08 15:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article
net, "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith

and so say all of us Sacha friends and family, great site and very
tempting. I cant have any more plants as we are hoping to be moving to
Scotland as soon as we sell this one - anyone want a house in sunny
Gloucestershire ? - however I will be picking your brains as and when we get
to where we are going :-)

kate

I've had some very helpful email with regard the technical aspects of the
site, optimising its viewing etc. I'm extremely grateful for that, as well
as for the kind comments from the less techie types. ;-)

Your little helper?

A lurking expert little helper. ;-)

Ed 23-07-2008 05:22 PM

New web site - finally....

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 15:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article
net, "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith

I strongly urge Sacha to submit the site for critical review at both:

alt.html
alt.html.critique

It will be interesting to see the results if they dare do that!!!

The site does not work under my pc configuration. Other potential
customers will find the same.

And because it is a business site then it needs to work effectively
across all common web browsers otherwise you cut off a lot of potential
trade.

This isn't the place to discusses the technicalities of web page design
and I'm not going there. But if I spent money to people to build this
website, then I would wont a refund!

However, I'd rather talk about how runner beans and early potatoes are
doing this year!

LOL!!

Ed

Ed 23-07-2008 05:52 PM

New web site - finally....

On 23/07/08 17:45, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:22:18 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 15:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article
net, "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith

I strongly urge Sacha to submit the site for critical review at both:

alt.html
alt.html.critique

It will be interesting to see the results if they dare do that!!!

The site does not work under my pc configuration. Other potential
customers will find the same.

It works for me with WinXP SP3 and the current versions of Firefox IE7 and
Opera.

Maybe you should post your PC configuration?

No, no. this is not an IT site. We talk gardening here.

But for some inexplicable reason, Sacha has not yet put up the site for
critique as I advised.

I am amazed that has not been done without delay cos they are loosing
customers.

Ed

Ed 23-07-2008 05:56 PM

New web site - finally....

On 21/07/08 19:40, Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Why have you not put the site up for review at:

alt.html
alt.html.critique

I hope you have not spent money on this. As it is, I would get a
refund. Your loosing business!!

Ed

Ed 23-07-2008 06:03 PM

New web site - finally....

On 23/07/08 17:56, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:52:54 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 17:45, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:22:18 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 15:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article
net, "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith
I strongly urge Sacha to submit the site for critical review at both:

alt.html
alt.html.critique

It will be interesting to see the results if they dare do that!!!

The site does not work under my pc configuration. Other potential
customers will find the same.
It works for me with WinXP SP3 and the current versions of Firefox IE7 and
Opera.

Maybe you should post your PC configuration?

No, no. this is not an IT site. We talk gardening here.

Are you trolling? It looks to me as if you are knocking her new website without
any justification.

No, no , I not no troll.. I want the business to succeed to the maximum.

Let's just see what a critical review of the site will reveal as I
suggested earlier. But I fear they wont do it. Sacha has not replied at
all!

How is ur runners doing btw?

Ed

Sacha[_3_] 23-07-2008 06:06 PM

New web site - finally....

On 23/7/08 17:22, in article net, "Ed"
ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 15:38, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article
net, "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith

I strongly urge Sacha to submit the site for critical review at both:

alt.html
alt.html.critique

snip
I appreciate the interest, Ed but my experience of discussing computer
matters on the web is that WW3 breaks out because everyone thinks they're an
expert. I've had some very helpful comments from another professional
designer and am following those lines.

Sacha[_3_] 23-07-2008 06:07 PM

New web site - finally....

On 23/7/08 17:52, in article
net, "Ed" ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 17:45, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:22:18 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 15:38, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article
net,
"Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

[...]

What a strange thing to say. How do you know we're losing customers? In
fact, we've had quite a few!

Sacha[_3_] 23-07-2008 06:08 PM

New web site - finally....

On 23/07/08 17:45, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:22:18 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 15:38, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article
net,
"Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith
I strongly urge Sacha to submit the site for critical review at both:

alt.html
alt.html.critique

It will be interesting to see the results if they dare do that!!!

The site does not work under my pc configuration. Other potential
customers will find the same.

It works for me with WinXP SP3 and the current versions of Firefox IE7 and
Opera.

Maybe you should post your PC configuration?

No, no. this is not an IT site. We talk gardening here.

Are you trolling? It looks to me as if you are knocking her new website
without
any justification.

Let's just say this is not a person who I would take advice from on
anything! Trouble making seems to be on the agenda, not gardening or web
sites!

Judith in France 23-07-2008 08:27 PM

New web site - finally....

On Jul 23, 5:22 pm, Ed ex@directory wrote:
On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:

On 23/7/08 15:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article , "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

[...]

My runner beans are not doing well how are yours. BTW I still think
it is an ace site and if I wanted to order something, as a potential
customer, I found it easy.

Judith

Judith in France 23-07-2008 08:29 PM

New web site - finally....

On 23/07/08 17:45, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:22:18 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 15:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article , "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

[...]

She doesn't need a critique my sweetie, her husband's business is
doing superb and any more maximum is just not possible. Order
something dear heart, insert your details, you will be pleasantly
surprised how easy it is to use.

Judith

Judith in France 23-07-2008 08:31 PM

New web site - finally....

On Jul 23, 6:08 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 17:56, in article ,

On 23/07/08 17:45, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:22:18 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 15:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article ,
"Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

[...]

Aaah, I have just caught on - duh I was a bit slow today Sacha.

Judith

Sacha[_3_] 23-07-2008 10:01 PM

New web site - finally....

On 23/7/08 20:31, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Jul 23, 6:08 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 17:56, in article ,

On 23/07/08 17:45, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:22:18 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 15:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article ,
"Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

[...]

Don't worry about it! We know it needs some work, that's why the comments
have - mostly - been welcome. It's always a good idea to see what others
think of a site, what thorny bits they discover etc. But trying to set
someone up for a flame war isn't helpful to anyone and it is certainly not
'help' that anyone needs, IMO.

Sacha[_3_] 24-07-2008 12:23 PM

New web site - finally....

On 24/7/08 13:40, in article , "Granity"
wrote:

'Sacha[_3_ Wrote:
]

Don't worry about it! We know it needs some work, that's why the
comments
have - mostly - been welcome. It's always a good idea to see what
others
think of a site, what thorny bits they discover etc. But trying to
set
someone up for a flame war isn't helpful to anyone and it is certainly
not
'help' that anyone needs, IMO.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Lovely site Sacha, works perfectly well using IE or FireFox and Opera,
therefore most people will be able to use it.

Two people have found they have to scroll from side to side which is a
puzzle as those are the only two but time will iron out the creases!

One thing that would be "nice to have", but I suspect a lot of trouble
to implement, is the ability to click on a picture and seeing an
enlarged version.

There is a 'larger picture' button, though no it doesn't make it into a huge
pic I'll talk to our guru about that but we don't want to overload the
site and make it take even longer to download. I suspect this is why so
many of the pics you see on the internet are quite small, too but I don't
have the techie knowhow to be sure of that! Many thanks for the kind words.
I've had some very constructive and helpful emails from posters and from a
professional web site designer who reads the group.

Anne Welsh Jackson 24-07-2008 03:54 PM

New web site - finally....

Sacha wrote:

Don't worry about it! We know it needs some work, that's why the comments
have - mostly - been welcome. It's always a good idea to see what others
think of a site, what thorny bits they discover etc. But trying to set
someone up for a flame war isn't helpful to anyone and it is certainly not
'help' that anyone needs, IMO.

There's a link at the bottom of page one for page 1 and the same with
page two - the link is for Page 2.

--
AnneJ

gavin[_2_] 24-07-2008 04:49 PM

OT: New web site - finally....

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
On 21/07/08 19:40, Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Your site needs some serious work to make it generally usable.

I've marked this thread OT so now we can discuss this here! There are errors
on the site and I certainly find the construction a wee bit baffling - I
think the end result could have been done with far simpler code/CSS.
However, to say it is unusable is overstating the case somewhat. Please give
details. I'm not trying to catch you out, I'm seriously interested in the
details of your argument. There's a chance I may learn something - I will
concede that there are any number of people out there who are better web
developers than I am.

What really makes me mad is the kind of money that can be charged for
building/maintaining a website - I know as I've seen this in practice. Great
websites can be built from the ground up very cost effectively if you know
where to go (which I do!). And it is actually pretty easy to learn basic
HTML/CSS in order to more than adequately maintain a site(as I do).