Old 22-07-2008, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chlorosis on Passiflora caerulea?

Over the past few years, my Passiflora caerulea has developed severe
chlorosis - it looks just like magnesium or iron deficiency on an
cacifuge plant, but P. caerulea is not one such. Has anyone got
any ideas?

I have given it a foliar feed and watering with a mixture of Epsom
salts and Miraclegrow ericaceous, but neither have worked very well
before.

I also have two out of 3 Cistus cuttings in small pots with the same
problem, and have given them the same treatment.

There is a new virus called Passiflora chlorosis virus, but why
should it have appeared, and is anyone familiar with what it looks
like? I can't find a picture.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-07-2008, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Over the past few years, my Passiflora caerulea has developed severe
chlorosis - it looks just like magnesium or iron deficiency on an
cacifuge plant, but P. caerulea is not one such. Has anyone got
any ideas?

I have given it a foliar feed and watering with a mixture of Epsom
salts and Miraclegrow ericaceous, but neither have worked very well
before.

I also have two out of 3 Cistus cuttings in small pots with the same
problem, and have given them the same treatment.

There is a new virus called Passiflora chlorosis virus, but why
should it have appeared, and is anyone familiar with what it looks
like? I can't find a picture.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Passiflora are apparently very susceptible to virus many of which can be
picked up from the humble cigarette, the symtems are all rather similar
and since there is damn all you seem to be able to do about it I tend to
ignore outbreaks and quite often things seem to improve and the plants
grow out of it, since I can't believe the virus has been beaten it makes
you wonder whether it was a virus in the first place and not simply a
reaction to weather conditions.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 22-07-2008, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

| Passiflora are apparently very susceptible to virus many of which can be
| picked up from the humble cigarette, the symtems are all rather similar
| and since there is damn all you seem to be able to do about it I tend to
| ignore outbreaks and quite often things seem to improve and the plants
| grow out of it, since I can't believe the virus has been beaten it makes
| you wonder whether it was a virus in the first place and not simply a
| reaction to weather conditions.

Thanks. Yes, a reaction to waterlogging was my first idea.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.