Old 23-07-2008, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Climber for garage wall

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble writes:

| Not sure why it has to be drought resistant though. IME soil at the
| base of a wall is usually quite wet underneath. If there's a bed there,
| putting stones or something round the base of the plant would keep it damp.

Depends on the direction of the rain. It can be very dry. I grow
Passiflora incarnata and Cyclamen coum in a complete rain shadow next
to a wall, which enables them to overwinter happily.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Most rain seems to come from the south west, so I suppose shady walls
are more likely to be in rain shadow as well.