Old 24-07-2008, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default peas that will not climb

Not being one to go in the car to buy bamboo poles flown in from the far
east I made a little wigwam for my peas out of some tall woody shoots from a
thicket in the graveyard across the road. The peas have refused to touch
them. I have tried tieing the tendrils to them and they won't climb them.
They grab each other and neighboring pots and plants but won't grab the
sticks they are meant to grab.

Is this a known phenomenon?

Tim w

Old 24-07-2008, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Tim W
writes
Not being one to go in the car to buy bamboo poles flown in from the far
east I made a little wigwam for my peas out of some tall woody shoots from a
thicket in the graveyard across the road. The peas have refused to touch
them. I have tried tieing the tendrils to them and they won't climb them.
They grab each other and neighboring pots and plants but won't grab the
sticks they are meant to grab.

Is this a known phenomenon?
Tim w

I grew mange tout peas, and used a net to support them, but they were
pretty stupid about holding onto the net at first.
They certainly preferred to cling to each other, and I resorted to
pushing the tendrils through the net and wrapping them around each
other.
That worked.
--
Gordon H
Old 24-07-2008, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Tim W
writes
Not being one to go in the car to buy bamboo poles flown in from the far
east I made a little wigwam for my peas out of some tall woody shoots from
thicket in the graveyard across the road. The peas have refused to touch
them. I have tried tieing the tendrils to them and they won't climb them.
They grab each other and neighboring pots and plants but won't grab the
sticks they are meant to grab.

Is this a known phenomenon?
Tim w

I grew mange tout peas, and used a net to support them, but they were
pretty stupid about holding onto the net at first.
They certainly preferred to cling to each other, and I resorted to pushing
the tendrils through the net and wrapping them around each other.
That worked.

Yup -that is why pea netting was invented for pea tendrils and bean canes
were invented for climbing runner beans.
The two are not interchangeable.
The tendrils will not grip large diameter shoots or canes- hence failure - a
known phenomenon !
Small diametered pea sticks are a sort of compromise for the lower height
varieties of peas
if your across the road graveyard has a few of these to spare !!

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com (fallow year in progress)