Old 26-07-2008, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Leylandii - filling in between the trunks

I have a leylandii border around the garden.
I would appreciate ideas for something to 'fill in' around the base so that
dogs can't get in/our dog can't get out.
Currently I hve a chickenwire frnce but it isn't very pleasing to the eye.

Cheers,
Rick

Old 27-07-2008, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"R D S" wrote in message
I have a leylandii border around the garden.
I would appreciate ideas for something to 'fill in' around the base so
that dogs can't get in/our dog can't get out.
Currently I have a chickenwire fence but it isn't very pleasing to the
eye.

OK, if I chop the tops off and prune regularly might they fill out at the
bottom?
They are about 10 years old, spaced at approx 2 foot and quite sparse from
about 1 foot from the ground.

Old 27-07-2008, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

R D S writes
"R D S" wrote in message
I have a leylandii border around the garden.
I would appreciate ideas for something to 'fill in' around the base so
that dogs can't get in/our dog can't get out.
Currently I have a chickenwire fence but it isn't very pleasing to the
eye.

OK, if I chop the tops off and prune regularly might they fill out at the
bottom?

Unlikely. They only grow back from green wood. I'd suggest you put a
more attractive fence.
--
Kay
Old 27-07-2008, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 10:32 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 27/7/08 21:17, in article , "R D S"

wrote:
"R D S" wrote in message
I have a leylandii border around the garden.
I would appreciate ideas for something to 'fill in' around the base so
that dogs can't get in/our dog can't get out.
Currently I have a chickenwire fence but it isn't very pleasing to the
eye.

OK, if I chop the tops off and prune regularly might they fill out at the
bottom?
They are about 10 years old, spaced at approx 2 foot and quite sparse from
about 1 foot from the ground.

No, leylandii simply don't respond like that. If you cut into old wood they
don't sprout and thicken up as other hedging plants do, you just have ugly
bare, brown, dead wood. Cut down the leylandii, get a medal from your
neighbours and put up a fence up which you can grow attractive climbers. It
will contain the dog much better, too. ;-)

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I recall that you felled yours about 12 years ago?

Judith

Old 27-07-2008, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/7/08 22:36, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Jul 27, 10:32 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 27/7/08 21:17, in article , "R D S"

wrote:
"R D S" wrote in message
[...]

In my old house, yes. They'd been allowed to grow to somewhere between 12
to 15 feet by the previous owners and were so depressing to look at. I
think whoever planted them must have had a big privacy issue because the
garden already had a low wall with iron railings on it so it was 'protected'
in that sense. All the leylandii did was stop people looking into the
living rooms if they cared to do so as they drove round the corner about 90'
across the garden! It did not stop any opposite neighbour staring in the
bedroom windows which I would have thought rather more to the point. They
came down and I planted lavender in the double skinned wall, Escallonias
behind that and Eucalyptus behind those. I stooled the latter but left the
house before they matured. However, the idea of all that was just to give
the *garden* privacy if I was sitting in it. I've been past the garden
several times since and even if I say it myself, I'm quite proud of the job
I made of it. My only sorrow for the new owners is that some scum went in
one night and stole all the Koi out of the big pond.

Old 30-07-2008, 01:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dirty

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 23:27:02 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

It did not stop any opposite neighbour staring in the
bedroom windows

Translation:

"I like the neighbours to watch my husband and I ****ing"