Old 28-07-2008, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Am I too late

Have just discovered some dahlias and begonias in shoe boxes in the garage
where I put them to store last year. They all have 3 - 4 inch shoots on
them.

If I plant them now - in pots - will they do anything this season?

If I don't plant them will they overwinter ok for next year?

Any opinions gratefully received

JC

Old 28-07-2008, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bald eagle" wrote in message
Have just discovered some dahlias and begonias in shoe boxes in the garage
where I put them to store last year. They all have 3 - 4 inch shoots on
them.

If I plant them now - in pots - will they do anything this season?

If I don't plant them will they overwinter ok for next year?

Any opinions gratefully received

JC

Goodness, you really *are* late! I doubt you'll get much of a performance
from this this season but, all the same, I would be inclined to pot them up
and water them well and see what happens. They should at least put on some
leafy growth, which you can feed with a high potash fertiliser. Don't
expect flowers. In fact, if they were mine, I would pinch any flower buds
out if they occur, with the idea of feeding up the plant in time for
autumn's die-back into the tubers, rather than stress the plant by asking it
to flower late. This may sound rather rum, but the well-fed foliage will
naturally die back and feed the tubers in readiness for next year. If you
*must* see what the flowers look like, just allow one bud to flower, then
nip out the rest.

At the end of the season (usually first frost for dahlias, slightly sooner
for begonias), stop watering and let the foliage die back. I would be
inclined to leave the tubers potted up over winter, so you can store them
easily. Similarly, you can bring them out in spring and start them in to
growth more easily, so you don't have the same problem next year.

Good luck.
Spider

Old 28-07-2008, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"Bald eagle" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a sensible idea. I'm not bothered about flowers - I've grown
these before and know what they look like - just would like to save them
for next season

Old 28-07-2008, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 28 Jul, 18:18, "Spider" wrote:
"Bald eagle" wrote in message

[...]

I'd go along with Sacha, plant them and then punch out growth at
around 18 inches, though if you are in a mild part of the country and
dont get frosts till November you could alow a few late flowers, you
should get tubers for next year, you will probably see the start of
new tubers on the dahlias already., I'd find a saheltered part of the
garden to plant them , somewhere where they will be stress free.
Good luck
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 29-07-2008, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/7/08 22:25, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

On 28 Jul, 18:18, "Spider" wrote:
"Bald eagle" wrote in message

[...]

snip

I'm delighted to hear it David but the credit goes to Spider, not to me!! I
know very little about Dahlias but I think she's probably grown one or two
and you're definitely a Dahlia expert. ;-))

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-07-2008, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 29 Jul, 08:51, Sacha wrote:
On 28/7/08 22:25, in article
, "Dave

Hill" wrote:
On 28 Jul, 18:18, "Spider" wrote:
"Bald eagle" wrote in message

[...]

South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Apologies Spider for not giving you the credit.
I must learn to read, I must learn to read, I must learn to read etc.
David Hill
Old 31-07-2008, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 29 Jul, 08:51, Sacha wrote:
On 28/7/08 22:25, in article
, "Dave

Hill" wrote:
On 28 Jul, 18:18, "Spider" wrote:
"Bald eagle" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, David, for the acknowledgement, and Thanks Sacha for redirecting the
credit.
Very kind and civil of you both. And, David, your very minor mistake is
only proof that you're human. Thank goodness for that! :~)
As Sacha says, I have grown one or two dahlias. I've also fed several to
the voracious slugs and snails in my garden! Now that I've fattened them
up, perhaps I should try growing garlic. :~(

Spider

Old 31-07-2008, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/7/08 18:46, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 29 Jul, 08:51, Sacha wrote:
On 28/7/08 22:25, in article
, "Dave

Hill" wrote:
On 28 Jul, 18:18, "Spider" wrote:
"Bald eagle" wrote in message

[...]

When we were at Highgrove (did you hear the thud of a name drop then?) the
guide told us that rabbits had got into the herb-planted bit round the house
and eaten a lot of the thyme. I said I thought it sounded like a sort of
posh ready meal! ;-)

Old 05-08-2008, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 31/7/08 18:46, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 29 Jul, 08:51, Sacha wrote:
On 28/7/08 22:25, in article
, "Dave

Hill" wrote:
On 28 Jul, 18:18, "Spider" wrote:
"Bald eagle" wrote in message

[...]

LOL! Certainly heard the name drop, you lucky thing. I would love to go
there.
Did this posh ready meal come with dumplings, yum yum?

Spider

How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
Artemisia 'Powis Castle' - late or late? Tyra Trevellyn Gardening 0 05-05-2004 05:05 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM