Old 05-05-2004, 05:05 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Artemisia 'Powis Castle' - late or late?

(Sorry, think this posted a second ago....hit button too soon.)

Last year I planted a single Artemisia 'Powis Castle,' which did quite well for
a first-year plant. I pruned back the old leafy stems a few weeks back,
leaving a woody, shrubby base, about a foot tall, somewhat branched. There's
no sign of new growth, however, but fingernail scrapes at the base near the
soil line show green. Is this variety of artemisia normally late to leaf out?
(From what I understand, it doesn't send out runners forming new plants, like
some artemisia species.)

I've never grown it before last year, but artemisia seems to show up early for
me here. The weather's been mild and pretty much spring-like for the past two
weeks or more, the ground's been unfrozen for at least a month, and just about
every else is showing normal signs of renewal.

Thanks for any ideas....
Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7