Old 31-07-2008, 01:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Looking for lightweight (breathable) foot protection

I wear sandals just about all of the time, at work, shopping, walking,
working, etc. This includes the winter. I just find them more
comfortable and my feet are healthy.

However there are times when I need some foot protection, e.g. using
a strimmer or brush cutter, tree felling, etc. I have a pair of boots
I acquired when I worked in the oil industry and usually use them but
they have some disadvantages:-

They take a while to put on, need socks and laces to be done up,
thus I don't always use them when I should.

They're hot, especially at the moment.

They will eventually wear out.

So I'm looking for alternatives, my main criteria a-

Easy/quick to put on, e.g. a side zipper or maybe velcro fastening.

It would be good if they were lined so don't need socks, less hassle.

Some sort of breathable material so my feet don't get too hot.

They don't *have* to be serious protection against droppping heavy
weights on my feet, i.e. steel toecaps are not necessary. That's not
what happens with a strimmer or brush cutter.

Any ideas or suggestions?

--
Chris Green
Old 31-07-2008, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
[...]

sounds like pull on Riggers boots but thats if you can be comfy in them
probably best with socks or if you are using lighter weight cutters Dealer
boots the elastic sided boots beloved by farmers about £25 at farmers
auctions (Chelford) or fleabay. If you are using metal bladed cutters then
ask at a Farm Shop they do sell proper heavy duty boots for the purpose
better to be safe than in A&E
Derek

Old 31-07-2008, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris wrote
[...]

Some builders type "trainers" would fit the bill. They should have steel
toecaps and a steel midsole too (for spreading the load when digging).
You do need steel toecaps if you use a brush cutter or even a mower of any
description, "mower foot" is a well known medical condition (as they try to
put it all back together!). The RHS at Wisley supply all their mower folk
with such footwear and none of them have any material left on the toecaps!

I use some DeWalt ones which cost about £60 but they are lace ups.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden