Old 06-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Bungalow Bill

Default Cement Recipe? Building Lightweight Growing Benches

I want to make growing benches out of concrete and cinder blocks.
(Stop me here if this is the wrong approach.) Everything made of wood
will rot here in New Orleans. I want to make bench tops about
18inches deep and 30inches wide and 1.5 inches thick. I'll use cinder
blocks to support the bench tops.

Problem is that I don't think that Quickcrete is the right mix for the
job. The gravel is too large and the result is too heavy.

So I want to mix my own. I figure the Gravel is the only component I
can change to make the concrete lighter. Any suggestions on what I
should do here?

Bill.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:20 PM
denebet

Bungalow Bill wrote:

I want to make growing benches out of concrete and cinder blocks.
(Stop me here if this is the wrong approach.) Everything made of wood
will rot here in New Orleans. I want to make bench tops about
18inches deep and 30inches wide and 1.5 inches thick. I'll use cinder
blocks to support the bench tops.

Problem is that I don't think that Quickcrete is the right mix for the
job. The gravel is too large and the result is too heavy.

So I want to mix my own. I figure the Gravel is the only component I
can change to make the concrete lighter. Any suggestions on what I
should do here?

Bill.

Why not add some perlite instead of gravel. Cellular concrete is done in
this way.

alain
--
http://brezhonegbev.free.fr Brezhoneg ar vro vigoudenn war ar rouedad