Old 09-08-2008, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default eucryphia-which one?

A fellow gardener has just lost a variegated snake bark maple, very
expensive but never really was happy! She has neutral soil in The Lee,
near Amersham Buckinghamshire, fairly protected but at the back of a
large border in front of a 6-foot flint wall. Soil not too dry.
Someone has suggested trying a Eucryphia but she isn't sure of which
one to choose. No good asking me as I’ve lost three Eucryphia x
nymansensis ‘Nymansay’ over the years before chucking in the trowel.
There's the obvious one but also a smaller one, lucida Pink Cloud that
might be good.
Anyone know more about them or have any recommendations? She won't
mind searching for one.
Janet
Old 10-08-2008, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

We had E nymansay for several years and then it keeled over but it did last
about 18 years, AFAIK.

I think you have Pink Cloud as well though Sacha, is it better? She has
a very large garden (4 acres plus 9 of paddocks!) however the place she
wants to put it might suit a slightly smaller tree more.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 11-08-2008, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

We don't have Pink Cloud, though we used to sell it but don't now.

Ah that'll be why, when I thought to check on the plantfinder, Hill
House was there on the list.

. He thinks E.
nymansay is better because it's more reliably evergreen while E. glutinosa
can be a bit iffy in that direction, depending on location.

OK thanks, I'll tell Judy.