Old 09-08-2008, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dipladenia

I have just acquired one of these pretty plants, any hints or tips? I have
a conservatory. We live in Formby Merseyside, not too windy,

Old 09-08-2008, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
I have just acquired one of these pretty plants, any hints or tips? I
have
a conservatory. We live in Formby Merseyside, not too windy,

Do you have the other half of its name? they vary rather a lot, but the
basics are allow to dry between waterings, I find mine does better in a
soiless soil/grit mix and not just straight potting compost or straight
JI Lots of light. Can stand out in summer but watch for waterlogging but
almost certainly won't make it through winter outside. Some die back of
shoots and leaves seems to happen in spring, I just cut them out,
probebly too cold as I don't heat the conservatory
See
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/climbers/mandevilla boliviensis.htm

Thanks for that Charlie, I had a look at your link, and its not the same
one, mine is a trumpet shaped flower, pink with a yellow centre, a med/light
green leaf, the young lad in the garden centre didn't know the variety, his
father was out for the day, and didn't know, I might ring them tomorrow to
find out, unless you recognise it! My conservatory is heated, we sit in it
all winter!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

Its a bit tricky as its a big family, but if the flowers and leaves are
large it could be M. Alice du Pont. but it sounds more likely to be M.
splendens which seems to have the most noticible yellow eyes. Post a link
to a picture or email me a jpg
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 10-08-2008, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/8/08 22:39, in article ,
"Sheila" wrote:

[...]

My husband agrees that Charlie's suggestions as to treatment are spot on but
try looking at Mandevilla sanderi on Google images. There's a variety on
that species called 'Rosea', too and then there's Scarlet Pimpernel which is
bright red.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-08-2008, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My husband agrees that Charlie's suggestions as to treatment are spot on
but
try looking at Mandevilla sanderi on Google images. There's a variety on
that species called 'Rosea', too and then there's Scarlet Pimpernel which
is
bright red.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Hi Sasha,

I sent Charlie an email picture of my plant, and he told me what he thought,
I have now opened a photobucket account, and here is a link to it, tell me
what you think!

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/

Old 13-08-2008, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/8/08 12:50, in article ,
"Sheila" wrote:

My husband agrees that Charlie's suggestions as to treatment are spot on
but
try looking at Mandevilla sanderi on Google images. There's a variety on
that species called 'Rosea', too and then there's Scarlet Pimpernel which
is
bright red.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Hi Sasha,

I sent Charlie an email picture of my plant, and he told me what he thought,
I have now opened a photobucket account, and here is a link to it, tell me
what you think!

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/

I haven't asked Ray his opinion but at a guess, Mandevilla sanderi 'Rosea'.
I think it's possibly a bit pale to be Alice du Pont, assuming the colour in
the photo is true?

Old 14-08-2008, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Sasha,

I sent Charlie an email picture of my plant, and he told me what he
thought,
I have now opened a photobucket account, and here is a link to it, tell
me
what you think!

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/

I haven't asked Ray his opinion but at a guess, Mandevilla sanderi
'Rosea'.
I think it's possibly a bit pale to be Alice du Pont, assuming the colour
in
the photo is true?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

The colour is true, and I looked for Charlie's email to check what he said,
and I have deleted his reply by accident....

Old 14-08-2008, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Hi Sasha,

I sent Charlie an email picture of my plant, and he told me what he
thought,
I have now opened a photobucket account, and here is a link to it, tell
me
what you think!

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/

I haven't asked Ray his opinion but at a guess, Mandevilla sanderi
'Rosea'.
I think it's possibly a bit pale to be Alice du Pont, assuming the colour
in
the photo is true?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

The colour is true, and I looked for Charlie's email to check what he said,
and I have deleted his reply by accident....

In truth there is not a lot of difference, I normally tell them apart by
leaf size (the colour can vary enormously) Alice du Pont has the largest
leaves and boliviensis is at the smaller end. to further complicate
things x amabilis is a hybrid of M. splendens and can be variable and
will seed itself (its found naturalized on Hawaii) I think the leaf size
in this case points to M splendens or a hybrid of it but if it turns out
that it is M sanderi then it won't make a lot of diffence to its after
care. Google does not help much as you often find that the picture used
does not match the text.
Old 14-08-2008, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/8/08 08:38, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

[...]

I happened to have Messrs. Phillips & Rix beside me when I was answering
Sheila. ;-)) The colour of hers is close to their Rosea but their photo
doesn't show leaves well at all. The problem with ID-ing from a photo is
that colour just varies so very much. But while ID is always good,
aftercare is more important still so if, as you say, this makes no
difference, all should turn out well in the end.