Old 10-08-2008, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blight on Toms. and Spuds.

Hello maybe something of interest to you

My whole potato and tomato crops decimated by blight.

However some volunteer Sarpo Mia from last years crop have not been touched
at all.

Shame that the eating qualities of these is poor.

............................Leslie

Old 10-08-2008, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Therefore" wrote in message
.. .
Hello maybe something of interest to you

My whole potato and tomato crops decimated by blight.

However some volunteer Sarpo Mia from last years crop have not been
touched at all.

Shame that the eating qualities of these is poor.

............................Leslie

Sarpo Mira? I like them. All our plots have blight by now but mostly haven't
affected the tubers because we chopped off the haulms pretty sharpish. Well
we hope so anyway! Tomatoes in the greenhouse have a touch of blight but it
doesn't seem to do much harm in there, the tomatoes keep coming .... and
coming

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 10-08-2008, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Leslie wrote
My whole potato and tomato crops decimated by blight.

However some volunteer Sarpo Mia from last years crop have not been
touched at all.

Shame that the eating qualities of these is poor.

We didn't like the Sharpo ones we grew last year either so didn't bother
this year, grew some Victoria instead. Anyway, no sign of blight yet on our
plot but then I have sprayed the Toms with Bordeaux Mixture.
Our potatoes have suffered because of the drought we had before the monsoon
season started and now it has started the slugs are doing their worse, even
some holes in the Kestrals I dug this weekend. If it's not one thing it's
another!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

You're right, I do sound like Victor Meldrew. :-)

Old 12-08-2008, 03:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:
Our potatoes have suffered because of the drought we had before the monsoon
season started and now it has started the slugs are doing their worse, even
some holes in the Kestrals I dug this weekend. If it's not one thing it's
another!

Given that the climate has become a God-ordained paradise for slugs,
would one lose or save more potatoes by lifting and storing or by
leaving them in the ground?