Old 13-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Registered User

Default Weed Killer

Hi,

I have just bought a property and to the front of the house is a paved area. This has weeds growing up between the paving slabs.

Can anyone recommend the best method to remove these and the best weed killer to use?

Any feedback or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 14-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Registered User

Location: Porlock Somerset

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsandbeans View Post
Hi,

I have just bought a property and to the front of the house is a paved area. This has weeds growing up between the paving slabs.

Can anyone recommend the best method to remove these and the best weed killer to use?

Any feedback or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Are the weeds just "grass" if so go to a agriculture centre like mole valley and ask for Roundup biactive. Do not touch the Roundup that is sold in garden centres it does not kill the roots very well. If you have "broadleaf" weeds, like dandelions,clover, thistles etc I use a product called Grazon 90, again from a agriculture merchant.
Old 14-08-2008, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

scubabeaver wrote:
chipsandbeans;809620 Wrote:
Hi,

I have just bought a property and to the front of the house is a paved
area. This has weeds growing up between the paving slabs.

Can anyone recommend the best method to remove these and the best weed
killer to use?

Assuming you want minimum effort and are not afraid of chemicals the
formulation sold as PathClear will do what it says on the tin.

Any feedback or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

The local store Boyes has the nicest cheap long handled hook shaped
blade for pulling weeds out of paving slab gaps. I expect Wilkinsons do
something similar - garden centre ones tend to be over priced and have
too short a handle.

Thanks

Are the weeds just "grass" if so go to a agriculture centre like mole
valley and ask for Roundup biactive. Do not touch the Roundup that is
sold in garden centres it does not kill the roots very well. If you
have "broadleaf" weeds, like dandelions,clover, thistles etc I use a
product called Grazon 90, again from a agriculture merchant.

Roundup is relatively slow acting at 2-3 weeks to kill weeds and not
persistent so it won't stop new weed seed germinating in the cleared
gaps. A dedicated path weedkiller includes a germination inhibitor which
is usually good fo a few months after application.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-08-2008, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
scubabeaver

Killing off the weeds is one thing but stoping them returning is
another. If the paving is slabs with a jointing gap the best long
term solution is to remove the old pointing and replace it with a
strong 3 to 1 wet mortar mix. With this jointing method weeds will be
a thing of the past

paving2go.com