GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Damons? Plums? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/177832-damons-plums.html)

Sacha[_3_] 17-08-2008 10:39 PM

Damons? Plums?

On 17/8/08 21:20, in article , "Rusty
Hinge" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
On 17/8/08 07:44, in article
,
"David Rance" wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008, Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

They do distinguish between groseille rouge, groseille blanche and
groseille ą maquereau (gooseberry).

Something fishy about that. Mackerel berry?

Maquereau is also a colloquial word for a pimp!

David

What an exciting life you lead - ordering in a restaurant must be very
hazardous! ;-)

Try ordering in an Italian one! (especially vegetables, say, fennel...)

No problem - I had an Italian mother outlaw and have an Italian sister in
law. I am the boring English person in the corner who winces when another
English person pronounces tagliatelle and zabaglione. It's figs you want
to watch out for....... ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Nick Maclaren 17-08-2008 10:48 PM

Damons? Plums?

In article ,
Rusty Hinge writes:

| Indeed, but it is relatively rare for a single dialect not to distinguish
| two things that are (a) both commonly used and (b) where there is a
| significant possibility of confusion. Muffin is unambiguous, once you
| know which side of the pond you are.
|
| Unfortunately not.
|
| You can ask for a muffin and get a proper little flat breadlingthing, or
| you may be offered a large cup-cake - on this side of the pond.

Well, that's because we have sold our souls to the Yankees - using the
word muffin to mean a polyfilla/sawdust cupcake is a modernism (not
more than a couple of decades old).

| Harrap's New Shorter French and English Dictionary: (But still requires
| a fork-lift...)*
|
| *How big/heavy is the Standard version?

The version of the Larousse Francaise I saw in the Sorbonne was about
the size of the Shorter Oxford. If OUP weren't such idiots, I and
lots of other people would buy CD-ROMs of the OED. I haven't got the
space for the paper version.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha[_3_] 17-08-2008 10:56 PM

Damons? Plums?

On 17/8/08 21:47, in article , "Rusty
Hinge" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Bit like 'mūres' which, I think, can mean both blackberries or mulberries.
I imagine it's more often used to mean blackberries.

Mūre sauvage, oł Mūre de ronce. Mūre (seul), = mulberry

No doubt it will be shortened if the context allows...

Mūre de rance being of the River Rance or some other context?

Sacha[_3_] 17-08-2008 10:57 PM

Damons? Plums?

On 17/8/08 21:55, in article , "Rusty
Hinge" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Cassis is certainly blackcurrants but you can ask for a Kir Mūres in France
and get the blackberry version. I don't like Kir Cassis though a Kir
Framboise will do if I'm absolutely pushed. ;-)

Strawberries steeped in whisky with added sugar make a fine liqueur, and
you'd never know the spirit was whisky.

I made a bottle with wild strawberries this year, and it was rather
disappointing.

The next batch will be with cultivated strawbs.

This is making me think of a Scottish dish involving whisky and oats - can't
remember if fruit comes into it but think honey does. Is it brose -
something like that?

Sacha[_3_] 17-08-2008 11:00 PM

Damons? Plums?

On 17/8/08 22:00, in article , "Rusty
Hinge" wrote:

The message
from David Rance contains these words:

But the Normans don't know anything about blackberry and apple pie!

The French don't seem to know anything about cooking apples, either.
(Use 'cooking' how you will, as an adjective, or a verb...)

Tarte tatin? And doesn't Calvados count? ;-))

Nick Maclaren 17-08-2008 11:02 PM

Damons? Plums?

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Bit like 'mūres' which, I think, can mean both blackberries or mulberries.
| I imagine it's more often used to mean blackberries.
|
| Mūre sauvage, oł Mūre de ronce. Mūre (seul), = mulberry
|
| No doubt it will be shortened if the context allows...
|
| Mūre de rance being of the River Rance or some other context?

No. Ronce = bramble. I didn't know that - I looked it up.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren 17-08-2008 11:03 PM

Damons? Plums?

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| This is making me think of a Scottish dish involving whisky and oats - can't
| remember if fruit comes into it but think honey does. Is it brose -
| something like that?

Atholl brose.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha[_3_] 17-08-2008 11:09 PM

Damons? Plums?

On 17/8/08 23:03, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| This is making me think of a Scottish dish involving whisky and oats -
can't
| remember if fruit comes into it but think honey does. Is it brose -
| something like that?

Atholl brose.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks, Nick. I'll look up a recipe for that.

Sacha[_3_] 17-08-2008 11:10 PM

Damons? Plums?

On 17/8/08 23:02, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Bit like 'mūres' which, I think, can mean both blackberries or
mulberries.
| I imagine it's more often used to mean blackberries.
|
| Mūre sauvage, oł Mūre de ronce. Mūre (seul), = mulberry
|
| No doubt it will be shortened if the context allows...
|
| Mūre de rance being of the River Rance or some other context?

No. Ronce = bramble. I didn't know that - I looked it up.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Must be old age - I mis-read ronce/rance. Thanks for the clarification and
no, I didn't know 'ronce', either.

David Rance 18-08-2008 08:35 AM

Damons? Plums?

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008, Rusty Hinge wrote:

from David Rance contains these words:

But the Normans don't know anything about blackberry and apple pie!

The French don't seem to know anything about cooking apples, either.
(Use 'cooking' how you will, as an adjective, or a verb...)

You mean the sort that go to mush when cooked. Yes, that's true.

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

David Rance 18-08-2008 08:39 AM

Damons? Plums?

Hinge" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Bit like 'mūres' which, I think, can mean both blackberries or mulberries.
I imagine it's more often used to mean blackberries.

Mūre sauvage, oł Mūre de ronce. Mūre (seul), = mulberry

No doubt it will be shortened if the context allows...

Mūre de rance being of the River Rance or some other context?

Mūre de ronce. Ronce = thorns! Whereas rance means evil-smelling! ;-)

Fil de ronce = barbed wire.

David

Sacha[_3_] 18-08-2008 09:21 AM

Damons? Plums?

On 18/8/08 08:39, in article ,
"David Rance" wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008, Sacha wrote:

On 17/8/08 21:47, in article
, "Rusty
Hinge" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Bit like 'mūres' which, I think, can mean both blackberries or mulberries.
I imagine it's more often used to mean blackberries.

Mūre sauvage, oł Mūre de ronce. Mūre (seul), = mulberry

No doubt it will be shortened if the context allows...

Mūre de rance being of the River Rance or some other context?

Mūre de ronce. Ronce = thorns! Whereas rance means evil-smelling! ;-)

Oh, I always rather enjoyed sailing up the Rance - almost going aground on
the way up to Chatelier was entertainment in itself. ;-) But I don't
remember any evil smells.

Fil de ronce = barbed wire.

David

Thanks for the info - I shall try to remember that!

Sacha[_3_] 18-08-2008 09:23 AM

Damons? Plums?

On 18/8/08 09:10, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

"David Rance" wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008, Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

They do distinguish between groseille rouge, groseille blanche and
groseille ą maquereau (gooseberry).

Something fishy about that. Mackerel berry?

Maquereau is also a colloquial word for a pimp!

David

What an exciting life you lead - ordering in a restaurant must be very
hazardous! ;-)

Try ordering in an Italian one! (especially vegetables, say, fennel...)

There is a town near Frascati with the same name. Try booking a hotel there.

Are you getting mixed up between the veg. and the puppet by any chance? ;-)

Gordon H 18-08-2008 09:24 AM

Damons? Plums?

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Gordon H writes:

| I don't like to tell you it was some years ago I ate part of one. :-(
| Not a juicy as the plums that a friend grew in her garden.

Almost certainly a damson or bullace then. Generally stronger flavoured,
more sour and less juicy.

Thanks, they looked like what I have always regarded as damsons.
It just seems a strange choice of tree to line a park!

Yesterday I pulled up three or four 18" saplings which had grown in my
garden...
--
Gordon H

K 18-08-2008 09:50 AM

Damons? Plums?

Rusty Hinge writes
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Cassis is certainly blackcurrants but you can ask for a Kir Mūres in France
and get the blackberry version. I don't like Kir Cassis though a Kir
Framboise will do if I'm absolutely pushed. ;-)

Strawberries steeped in whisky with added sugar make a fine liqueur, and
you'd never know the spirit was whisky.

I made a bottle with wild strawberries this year, and it was rather
disappointing.

Strange, since wild have a much more intense flavour, but I had the same
experience.

The next batch will be with cultivated strawbs.

--
Kay