Old 17-08-2008, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lilies help please.

How do I know they are Lilies? Ask Lonnie.
seriously I have lilies in pots, which have done very well. This is
their third year, should I perhaps take them out of the pots and treat
them like onions, then replant next Spring in fresh compost? all
pertinent suggestions most welcome.
Old 17-08-2008, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Take off any seed heads as they appear.
leaving stems and leaves intact.
leave in pots.
top dress with bone meal and layer of fresh compost.
Feed now every fortnight until end september with tomto or other high potash
fertiliser.
Place under shrub or tree until they restart into growth next spring, just
for protection .
They will survive, improve and increase stock each year for some years if
left in pots as long as they are fed at right time..
regards
Cineman

Old 18-08-2008, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
How do I know they are Lilies? Ask Lonnie.
seriously I have lilies in pots, which have done very well. This is
their third year, should I perhaps take them out of the pots and treat
them like onions, then replant next Spring in fresh compost? all
pertinent suggestions most welcome.

"cineman" wrote
Take off any seed heads as they appear.
leaving stems and leaves intact.
leave in pots.
top dress with bone meal and layer of fresh compost.
Feed now every fortnight until end september with tomto or other high
potash fertiliser.
Place under shrub or tree until they restart into growth next spring, just
for protection .
They will survive, improve and increase stock each year for some years if
left in pots as long as they are fed at right time..

They actually do not like being out of the soil so drying them off like
onions is certainly not a good idea.
Also you may have some bulbils forming at the leaf axis and these can be
used to increase your stock, when the stem dies back take off the bulbils,
some will already have grown roots, and pot up and treat the pot as
suggested, will take a couple of years to get to flowering size. They have
different immature leaves BTW.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden