Old 21-08-2008, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Food for thought

The message
from Tim Perry contains these words:

O.K., thanks for the amusing exchange, although I do feel it rather
missed
the point I was making, ie- What is a natural diet.
It's like the ads for dog food that include carrot, sweetcorn and
apple.
Said to be 'Better by nature', but I cannot recall ever seeing a pack
of wolves stalking a carrot field, or African hunting dogs chasing a
corn on the cob.
Yes, I love all fruit and most veg, but that was not my point.

Our dog (of many moons ago) used to go out into the garden and eat
apples amd pears. If there were any leftovers on people's plates (and
that was seldom) she would wolf the lot, veg -carrots - and all.

I don't ever remember any sweetcorn being left, but I know which way it
would have gone, and how fast...

This thread has probably gone on long enough, and I think we will have
to agree to differ, but there is a danger in blindly accepting as
gospel everything the latest trendy 'expert' says. Please, don't
abandon your own common sense.

Oh yes. It isn't as if they all sing from the same songsheet, and they
keep changing the words every few years.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 24-08-2008, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes
Tim Perry writes

Funeral ? Steady on. My old Mum is 94 this year, we always had real
butter.
Notice how many foods that served our olds just fine, are now supposed
to be almost toxic.

The average life expectancy has increased over my lifetime. There are
always exceptions, and they do not prove anything. But you know this,
of course, and are just trying to inflame things.

I'm surprised life expectancy has risen Kay as there are now a lot more
factors causing early death like smoking, excessive drinking, skin
cancers, fast cars, etc. Doesn't that bring the average down or did the
infant deaths pull the average down?

I would have thought life would be about the same in the UK?

In any event I would suggest that quality of life is more important than
quantity. So always be a gardener

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 24-08-2008, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Tim Perry
writes

or African hunting dogs chasing a
corn on the cob.

Actually corn on the cob is quite dangerous for dogs as the core can get
stuck in the digestive system. I knew at least 2 dogs who have had to
have surgery for a blockage due to cobs!

I do know that some 'experts' (I use the word advisedly) argue that dogs
go for the stomachs of animals first where there will be half digested
plant material but then my dogs eat raw meat anyway.

Wouldn't give up my bacon sandwiches for anything. Come the revolution
and money means nothing perhaps we WILL be able to grow our own
cows/pigs by bartering our 'better than shop bought' vegetables

Old 24-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy View Post

I'm surprised life expectancy has risen Kay as there are now a lot more
factors causing early death like smoking, excessive drinking, skin
cancers, fast cars, etc. Doesn't that bring the average down or did the
infant deaths pull the average down?

I would have thought life would be about the same in the UK?

In any event I would suggest that quality of life is more important than
quantity. So always be a gardener

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Hi Janet,
You are quite right, quality is far more important than quantity.
All this health advice is well meaning, but if you listened to them all what a miserable existence they would have you endure.
Speaking of the well meaning, my old Nan used to say "The road to Hell is paved with good intent".
Not so sure about your dig at fast cars, I love them, and bikes, the faster the better, the fact is that cars kill no-one, thats down to lousy incompetent drivers, but some find it easier to 'pass the buck' rather than admit the truth. Perhaps if drivers that cause a fatal 'accident' were automatically charged with murder, they might sit up and take notice.
Anyhow, I love my food, and they can stick that silly little pile of garlic soaked in olive oil, and the foam on top. It reminds me too much of something the cat has failed to digest. When I come in after a hard days graft, or having dug the garden, I need good traditional food. Nothing else
will fit the bill.

Old 24-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Perry View Post
We are bombarded with advice from self-appointed experts on the subject of what we should eat.
Disregarding the fact that our eyes both face forwards, indicating a predator,
or the fact that we have a carnivores dentition and digestive system, or the fact that we behave like predators (how many wars have there been?), we are told we must eat veg.
O.K., I confess I like mash with my bangers.
Ah, but we are supposed to eat 5 veg a day.
O.K., so I'll mash 5 spuds.
But they now say the veg have to be different colours !!.
I got that sorted too, food colouring, 1 mashed spud coloured red, 1 green, 1 yellow, 1 blue, and 1 black.

Everybody happy now?? Can I eat my dinner in peace?.
My philosophy is eat what the hell you like just don't do it to excess
Old 24-08-2008, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Tim Perry writes

Janet Tweedy;812267 Wrote:

I'm surprised life expectancy has risen Kay as there are now a lot more

factors causing early death like smoking, excessive drinking, skin
cancers, fast cars, etc. Doesn't that bring the average down or did the

infant deaths pull the average down?

There is a lot less smoking than there used to be, certainly among men.
Treatment of cancers is now a lot more successful, as is the treatment
for a large number of conditions which previously would have curtailed
life. Road accident deaths are not that numerous compared with deaths by
other means.

I would have thought life would be about the same in the UK?

In any event I would suggest that quality of life is more important
than
quantity. So always be a gardener

Sadly, along with increase in life expectancy has gone an increase in
the length of that dismal period of decline towards the end of life.
--
Kay
Old 25-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
Sadly, along with increase in life expectancy has gone an increase in
the length of that dismal period of decline towards the end of life.
--
Kay
You are right there Kay, when I was small I used to crawl everywhere,
now if I try I get this nasty pain in my knees.

I suppose some would say it's due to my diet, but I don't really care.
Life is not a dress rehearsal, you only get one crack at it, so I may as
well have a little pleasure whilst I may.
Old 25-08-2008, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 04:43:03 +0100, Tim Perry wrote:

We are bombarded with advice from self-appointed experts on the subject
of what we should eat.
Disregarding the fact that our eyes both face forwards, indicating a
predator,

Yep - cursive hunter if I remember correctly. More predator than prey, in
most cases. However even all out predators are prey at times - hunted by
other predators. Just on balance they hunt more than they are hunted.

or the fact that we have a carnivores dentition and digestive

system,

Nope - we have an omnivore's dentition and digestive tract.
That means we have grinding teeth for vegetables as well as incisors and
canines for the meat course.
We don't have the elaborate digestive tract that herbivores such as
ruminants have, to allow them to get the maximum food value out of grass,
but we do have a long enough gut to allow us to process some goodness out
of vegetables.
One of the reasons that we have been so successful as a species is that
we can eat almost anything and are therefore not tied to a specific
habitat.
The classic 'predator/prey relationship' shows how a predator is very much
tied to the prey population.
We eat predators, their prey, and most of the prey's foodstuffs as well.
We also eat each other, although that is not always considered polite
these days.
So go for a truly balanced diet - a bit of everything!

I seem to think that dogs and cats are a good example - dogs will eat
anything, and can survive quite happily on a vegetarian diet. Cats, on the
other hand, need a diet which is mainly protein (although they sometimes
go and catch it themselves). Dogs are still, however, considered a
predator species.

or the fact that we behave like predators (how many wars

have there
been?),

Behave like predators?
Well, the life of a lion seems pretty good - laze around all day while the
wives go out hunting. :-)

Old 25-08-2008, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Food for thought (maybe ot)

In article , Tim Perry
writes

Not so sure about your dig at fast cars, I love them,
and bikes, the faster the better, the fact is that cars kill no-one,

I disagree! Some have malfunctions which can't be foreseen and some get
driven into by other cars, when in fact you wouldn't have been where you
were if you hadn't been in a car or bike (er. if you see what i mean!)

Perhaps if drivers that
cause a fatal 'accident' were automatically charged with murder, they
might sit up and take notice.

I find cars that male drivers prefer are TOO comfortable, on journeys ,
say down the M40. It gets so boring that if you are the slightest bit
tired I can well imagine people dropping off to sleep as the cars
nowadays cushion your senses to the ultimate degree.
Now if you had a car like our old Imp in 1970 you were so worried about
breaking down or the windows falling out that you didn't let up
concentration for a minute.
I firmly believe cars now induce in men and I suppose some women, a
state of safety which is TOO reassuring and they take chances.
Can't remember where it was but some town planner somewhere said that in
a trial, if you took away all the road signs and roundabouts and traffic
lights, drivers HAD to be more careful as they weren't sure what they
were going to encounter.

Anyhow, I love my food, and they can stick that silly
little pile of garlic soaked in olive oil, and the foam on top. It
reminds me too much of something the cat has failed to digest. When I
come in after a hard days graft, or having dug the garden, I need good
traditional food. Nothing else
will fit the bill.

I am old enough to remember the Berni Inns where you got a prawn
cocktail, steak and chips with maybe peas or chicken (my favourite) then
a choice of a lurid strawberry gateau or a chocolate cake all for under
a pound I think

ah, thems was the days ........................

Old 25-08-2008, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David WE Roberts
writes
We also eat each other, although that is not always considered polite
these days.
So go for a truly balanced diet - a bit of everything!

I'll pass on the plate of fellow gardener thank you David

Old 25-08-2008, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

I find cars that male drivers prefer are TOO comfortable, on journeys ,
say down the M40. It gets so boring that if you are the slightest bit
tired I can well imagine people dropping off to sleep as the cars
nowadays cushion your senses to the ultimate degree.
Now if you had a car like our old Imp in 1970 you were so worried about
breaking down or the windows falling out that you didn't let up
concentration for a minute.

Sounds a bit like my 1959 SIIA SWB Lard Roller...

I firmly believe cars now induce in men and I suppose some women, a
state of safety which is TOO reassuring and they take chances.
Can't remember where it was but some town planner somewhere said that in
a trial, if you took away all the road signs and roundabouts and traffic
lights, drivers HAD to be more careful as they weren't sure what they
were going to encounter.

A nearby village had a white line painted down the middle of the road
through it, and traffic went much faster. On advice, the Highways
Department removed the white line, and traffic went more slowly.

Well, most of it...

Anyhow, I love my food, and they can stick that silly
little pile of garlic soaked in olive oil, and the foam on top. It
reminds me too much of something the cat has failed to digest. When I
come in after a hard days graft, or having dug the garden, I need good
traditional food. Nothing else
will fit the bill.

I am old enough to remember the Berni Inns where you got a prawn
cocktail, steak and chips with maybe peas or chicken (my favourite) then
a choice of a lurid strawberry gateau or a chocolate cake all for under
a pound I think

ah, thems was the days ........................

My nearby caff in the '60s provided a good, freshly-cooked meal for less
than half a crown. Nothing haute about the cuisine, but none of yer pink
squishy bangers or milk-protein adulterated bacon.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 25-08-2008, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Can't remember where it was but some town planner somewhere said that in
a trial, if you took away all the road signs and roundabouts and traffic
lights, drivers HAD to be more careful as they weren't sure what they were
going to encounter.

In the middle of the Isle of Wight there is a traffic concoction called
'Coppins Bridge'. There were I believe 13 sets of traffic lights but I think
one set has been taken away. Anyoldhow, when they are switched ON, almost
chaos. Certainly the traffic does not flow smoothly. However, a short while
back the whole system went down. For days!! And for days the traffic flowed
as smooth as you like :-)

Why they switched them back on again I don't know

Old 25-08-2008, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:
In article , David WE Roberts
writes

We also eat each other, although that is not always considered polite
these days.
So go for a truly balanced diet - a bit of everything!

I'll pass on the plate of fellow gardener thank you David

What will you pass on it?

D&RFC

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 25-08-2008, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "'Mike'" contains these words:

Can't remember where it was but some town planner somewhere said that in
a trial, if you took away all the road signs and roundabouts and traffic
lights, drivers HAD to be more careful as they weren't sure what
they were
going to encounter.

In the middle of the Isle of Wight there is a traffic concoction called
'Coppins Bridge'. There were I believe 13 sets of traffic lights but I
think
one set has been taken away. Anyoldhow, when they are switched ON, almost
chaos. Certainly the traffic does not flow smoothly. However, a short while
back the whole system went down. For days!! And for days the traffic flowed
as smooth as you like :-)

Why they switched them back on again I don't know

Because they've been PAID FOR. Must show we are using the public's money
wisely...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Two Acre Wood (Food for Thought) Patty Peeples Garden Photos 6 26-09-2007 07:05 PM
Deer Food...who woould have thought charliekilo Texas 11 08-05-2007 11:50 PM
food for thought Roger Edible Gardening 1 26-08-2006 02:25 PM
Food for thought? Mike United Kingdom 0 04-06-2004 10:05 AM
Food For Thought [email protected] Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:36 AM