Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-08-2008, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 16:36:12 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

I have a clump of Crocosmia which has been in the way when I access my
runner beans, and I propose to move the corms to a border in the front
garden, for an easy colour splash next summer.

The online info I found says "divide between March and May" so I'm too
late for that. Should I lift the corms and store over winter, or
just transplant them, and if so, when?
Advice please?

After the leaves have browned and died down, I can't see that it makes
much difference when you move them. I suspect you'll find you've got
more corms than you need when you come to dig them up, so perhaps back
it both ways: plant some straight after lifting, some in spring.
Depending where you are, I would cover the ones you plant straight
away with a thick leafy mulch to protect them from frost. But you may
be in a mild area where frosts are few and not penetrating, in which
case I wouldn't bother with the mulch.

We are talking about "Oop North", Manchester area, so I may decide to
leave them until Spring.

I know Crocosmia are a bit of a joke really, but I am becoming a lazy
gardener in my old age, and keeping the borders clear of grass and weeds
is becoming an effort. :-(
--
Gordon H