Old 25-08-2008, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Herby Question

Are Oregano and Marjoram, Italian and French names for the same thing?

I have both, bought from the same source by mail order and apart from a
slight colour difference they appear same/similar, although I can't
comment on taste as I haven't yet used them.

P.P.

Old 25-08-2008, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"p. pleater" writes:

| Are Oregano and Marjoram, Italian and French names for the same thing?

Yes, but that's not what you meant to ask!

In the UK, the words usually refer to different species, though I
believe that oregano is a southern European variety of the native
British plant wild marjoram (Origanum vulgare) - just to confuse
things. Anyway, the one called marjoram in the kitchen is sweet
marjoram (which now seems to be called Origanum majorana). There
are half a dozen other species of Origanum used in cooking, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-08-2008, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

p. pleater writes
Are Oregano and Marjoram, Italian and French names for the same thing?

No. According to OED

Oregano is Spanish derivation from Oreganum and refers to Origanum
vulgare (or, in central and N America, Lippia)

Marjoram is of obscure etymology, and refers to any species of Origanum

--
Kay
Old 25-08-2008, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "p. pleater" contains these words:

Are Oregano and Marjoram, Italian and French names for the same thing?

I have both, bought from the same source by mail order and apart from a
slight colour difference they appear same/similar, although I can't
comment on taste as I haven't yet used them.

Similar. My oregano is lower-growing than the marjoram, and the marjoram
has slightly more pointy leaves.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 25-08-2008, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:
p. pleater writes
Are Oregano and Marjoram, Italian and French names for the same thing?

No. According to OED

Oregano is Spanish derivation from Oreganum and refers to Origanum
vulgare (or, in central and N America, Lippia)

Marjoram is of obscure etymology, and refers to any species of Origanum

Oregan = wild marjoram

Marjolaine = (sweet) marjoram

(Harrap's F&E dictionary)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 25-08-2008, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

: And if you want to be correct and pronounce the latter as
: the Italians do it's oREGano, not the English Oregahhhno! ;-))

Except it's origano - but agreed the stress is on the rig.

--
Steve

Old 25-08-2008, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/8/08 22:20, in article
, "Steve Turner"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

: And if you want to be correct and pronounce the latter as
: the Italians do it's oREGano, not the English Oregahhhno! ;-))

Except it's origano - but agreed the stress is on the rig.

Quite right, my bad - talk about spot the deliberate mistake! My ex ma in
law always said oREGano, presumably to try to stop the English *******ising
yet another of her country's words even further. She was equally
impassioned about how we pronounce Pinocchio and Michaelangelo! Getting
those 'wrong' was like turning a key in her back. It was agony to her! And
as for zabaglione - well, you can imagine!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2008, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

: On 25/8/08 22:20, in article
: , "Steve Turner"
: wrote:
:
:: Sacha wrote:
::
::
::: And if you want to be correct and pronounce the latter as
::: the Italians do it's oREGano, not the English Oregahhhno! ;-))
::
:: Except it's origano - but agreed the stress is on the rig.
:
: Quite right, my bad - talk about spot the deliberate mistake! My ex
: ma in law always said oREGano, presumably to try to stop the English
: *******ising yet another of her country's words even further. She
: was equally impassioned about how we pronounce Pinocchio and
: Michaelangelo! Getting those 'wrong' was like turning a key in her
: back. It was agony to her! And as for zabaglione - well, you can
: imagine!

I'll admit I didn't know and looked it up. Italian words are mostly stressed
on the penultimate syllable (I have a friend who lives in Italy and I tried
to learn the language at one point) but origano is one of those exceptions.
I would have presumed it was pronounced more like we do. On American TV they
always say it "properly" and it used to grate - but not any more.

--
Steve

Old 26-08-2008, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/8/08 08:05, in article
, "Steve Turner"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

: On 25/8/08 22:20, in article
: , "Steve Turner"
: wrote:
:
:: Sacha wrote:
::
::
[...]

It's one of those things that once you learn the 'right' way, is very
difficult to do the 'wrong' way just to fit in with everyone else. I still
pronounce it the Italian way and get some very funny looks from English
people. What I have never become accustomed to is the American way of
saying 'erbs instead of herbs. It's the the French way - sort of - but it
still sounds strange to my ears.