Old 26-08-2008, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning Smoke Bush (cotinus)

Hello. I have a smoke bush which is 4 years old.I has never flowered.
Every spring I prune it to near groud level as this is what the label
said. I have been told that you shouldnt prune every year. Is right if
so how and when sould I prune. The longest stems are about 6ft( 6 or 7
like this) and the rest about 3ft.
TIA
Gaz.
Old 27-08-2008, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 26, 9:14*am, Sacha wrote:
On 26/8/08 07:58, in article
, "Gaz"

wrote:
Hello. I have a smoke bush which is 4 years old.I has never flowered.
Every spring I prune it to near groud level as this is what the label
said. I have been told that you shouldnt prune every year. Is right if
so how and when sould I prune. The longest stems are about 6ft( 6 or 7
like this) and the rest about 3ft.
TIA
Gaz.

I'd just keep it tidy and cut off what gets in your way or threatens to take
up too much space from something else. *Cutting it back that fiercely
encourages leaf growth which, for a lot of people is the most important
thing about Cotinus. *But if you take out about a third of the growth I
believe that's the recommended method for allowing flowering.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Thanks Sasha. I'll try that.

Purple smoke bush Patricia Thorpe United Kingdom 0 02-10-2011 12:41 PM
Smoke Bush, No Flowers, Unusual ?? Mutant? [email protected] Gardening 0 13-07-2007 06:00 PM
smoke bush ROSS Gardening 2 28-03-2005 04:32 PM
Transplating a Smoke Bush Simon Latimer United Kingdom 2 03-05-2004 12:05 AM
Cotinus coggygria 'Golden Spirit' David J Bockman Gardening 0 07-10-2003 12:02 PM