Old 26-08-2008, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default IVY IVY IVY

"Pete C" wrote in message
JCYates wrote:
Can anyone help please?
I have masses of ivy that keeps encroaching on my garden. There used
to be some commercial products to kill ivy but I understand they are
no longer available. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can kill
it- or at the very best give it a severe headache to discourage it?

Many thanks

John

Execution/castration!
A pair of shears used with enthusiasm to control, or cut it off at the
base for a permanent solution.

I did that - cut off the base, leaving a couple of inches between the stump
and the stem. I also cut off all the leaves forom the stems but because they
were twisted and decorative i left them, in fact I sprayed them bronze.

Leaves began to appear on the stems a few weeks later. There's still a large
gap at the base of the stem - no Earthly root system - but it's covered with
green now.

Heigh ho ...

Mary

Old 26-08-2008, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
JCYates wrote:
[...]

We've all seen plants growing from cracks in walls. I guess your ivy is
getting nutrients the same way. It was a couple of years before I finally
got the last of mine off the wall.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 26-08-2008, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
JCYates wrote:
[...]

Of course. But my point was that simply cutting the stem off by its
bootlaces isn't necessarily the answer :-)

Mary

Old 26-08-2008, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
JCYates wrote:
[...]

No.........sorry, I didn't make myself clear. That's the castration bit,
then you need to execute..........tear down as much as poss.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 27-08-2008, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message

No.........sorry, I didn't make myself clear. That's the castration bit,
then you need to execute..........tear down as much as poss.

But I wanted the twisted stem!

I do understand that it's getting nutrients and water from somewhere and
don't mind it at all - after I planted it there in the first place.

I only discovered the tortuous truk by cutting off a bit of green here,
another there,oops gone a bit too far in that place, better even it ... a
bit like beard trimming when you end up being bare-faced :-) And decide that
you like it. Trouble is, to keep it (ivy or beard) like that takes
maintenance :-(

Mary

Old 27-08-2008, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

I did that - cut off the base, leaving a couple of inches between the stump
and the stem.

I did that and yes the ivy is STILL growing here too

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 06:03 PM
My plan of attack on our English Ivy Anatase Lawns 8 01-12-2002 06:25 AM