Old 02-09-2008, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acer tree advice

Hi All,

Please can you help with some advice on my fairly new acer tree.

The tree was looking very well upto abou t a week ago, but now all the
leaves have started to crisp up and have started to fall off.

I know its now part of the leaffall session, but it seems very quick for
this tree, and im actually wondering if the trees died?

Do you think this is normal?

Many thanks

Old 02-09-2008, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 2, 8:27*pm, "Alex Barrow" wrote:
Hi All,

Please can you help with some advice on my fairly new acer tree.

The tree was looking very well upto abou t a week ago, but now all the
leaves have started to crisp up and have started to fall off.

I know its now part of the leaffall session, but it seems very quick for
this tree, and im actually wondering if the trees died?

Do you think this is normal?

Many thanks

Do you recall peeing on it the night you got wasted with cognac?
That's it then, no hope for the poor thing.
No good even for firewood, treat it as a most toxic substance
Old 03-09-2008, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alex Barrow" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,

Please can you help with some advice on my fairly new acer tree.

The tree was looking very well upto abou t a week ago, but now all the
leaves have started to crisp up and have started to fall off.

I know its now part of the leaffall session, but it seems very quick for
this tree, and im actually wondering if the trees died?

Do you think this is normal?

Many thanks

It does sound a bit sudden. Acers, especially Japanese ones, prefer some
shelter. I wonder if it's planted in a site that's too exposed? Sun and
wind scorch can both cause the kind of damage you describe. Given the sort
of weather we've had this year, it's more likely to be wind scorch. Try
erecting a simple cane and fleece shelter around it to provide some
protection against the elements until it's better established. If it's in a
site that's clearly much too exposed for the plant's comfort, then it would
be advisable to move it to a shadier spot instead. (Plants often shed their
leaves when stressed as a means of saving themselves. They usually leaf up
again when conditions improve).

Another possible cause of could be root troubles. This could be roots too
dry .. roots too wet .. pests or disease. It could also be herbicide drift
from local weed spraying, but this would tend to show in the leaves as
distortion.

If, when you planted it, you dug a hole just big enough to accomodate the
roots *and* especially if you're gardening on clay, then the roots could be
sitting in a sump full of water, which would eventually rot the roots.
Without healthy roots, the tree will display drought symptoms .. just as it
would if you hadn't watered it enough. If it's too wet (but still got
roots!) replant it in a bigger hole with better drainage. If you know
you've underwatered it (but got the aspect and planting hole right), simply
give it a really good soaking once a week.

NB: To check for death, scrape a little bark away from the stem. If it's
brown underneath, it's dead. If it's green, it's still alive.

Spider

Old 03-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Registered User

The tree was looking very well upto abou t a week ago, but now all the
leaves have started to crisp up and have started to fall off.

They are very susceptible to winds - if it's not in a sheltered spot, I would move it

Janet C
Old 06-09-2008, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
[...]

Our Japanesse Acer (No idea what name) has been fine for the last 5/6
years sood in a big pot in the same place, but this year about 2/3
months ago I noticed that the ends of all the leaves seem to have died,
in that they are are brittle and look a light brown in colour.
Could this be wind burn/scorching?

Thanks

Old 06-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Registered User

Hi
I would suspect one of two things:

1. It is in a windy spot and the leaves have been dried off (hard to believe in this weather, I know), or

2. It has one of the root rots - acers are susceptible. Knock it out of its pot and look at the roots.

If they are not a healthy white colour, take it back to where it came from....

Good Luck

Acer advice please robert United Kingdom 3 01-11-2009 06:58 PM
Advice needed with Acer Davidii [email protected] United Kingdom 2 15-05-2006 08:45 AM
Acer palmatum problems - any advice? trident Gardening 1 25-04-2006 05:56 AM
Acer Advice Needed acer13 Gardening 2 21-10-2004 04:33 PM
Acer 'Crimson Queen' Advice pgiblin United Kingdom 1 29-07-2003 06:33 PM