Old 05-09-2008, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bramleys

South east England. A mature tree and this year a bumper crop. Last year's
problem of bitter pit was solved by advice from this Newsgroup recommending
spraying by calcium. This year perfect large fruits harvested by hand
develop large brown patches within days of picking. Could calcium have been
the culprit? Probably too late to take any action at this late stage, but is
there any advice on how to avoid this disease in the future?

Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Alistair Macdonald" contains
these words:

South east England. A mature tree and this year a bumper crop. Last year's
problem of bitter pit was solved by advice from this Newsgroup recommending
spraying by calcium. This year perfect large fruits harvested by hand
develop large brown patches within days of picking. Could calcium have been
the culprit? Probably too late to take any action at this late stage,
but is
there any advice on how to avoid this disease in the future?

Probably the 'orrid weather and lack of sun.

My neighbour's Bramleys aren't nearly ripe enough for picking, BTW.

East Anglia too.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 06-09-2008, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 22:21:06 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:

The message
from "Alistair Macdonald" contains
these words:

South east England. A mature tree and this year a bumper crop. Last year's
problem of bitter pit was solved by advice from this Newsgroup recommending
spraying by calcium. This year perfect large fruits harvested by hand
develop large brown patches within days of picking. Could calcium have been
the culprit? Probably too late to take any action at this late stage,
but is
there any advice on how to avoid this disease in the future?

Probably the 'orrid weather and lack of sun.

My neighbour's Bramleys aren't nearly ripe enough for picking, BTW.

East Anglia too.

Up here in sunny Manchester I've already had most of my Bramleys. This
year was the best yet for my tree.