Old 23-09-2008, 03:06 AM
Registered User

I am bemused by this thread. Where does the owner of this bay tree live - on the summit of Ben Nevis??
Bay trees are tough cookies, altho less so when kept in pots. I had one in a 16" clay pot for several years in Yorks, and it thrived (fairly shaded and a good bit of rain). Last year I moved to the W. Lancs coast and the bay started to look sickly. I took it out of the pot, stuck it in the garden with some non-peat compost and a sprinkling of chicken manure, and it has absolutely thrived.
Old 23-09-2008, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bay laurel

In article , "graham" writes:

| "Janet Conroy" wrote in message
|
| I am bemused by this thread. Where does the owner of this bay tree live
| - on the summit of Ben Nevis??
|
| I'm a Brit living in Canada. Last winter the temp went down to ~-35C (-42C
| with windchill). Not much thrives at that temp!

Bay leaves will go brown if the temperature drops below -10 Celcius or
sustained ones of -5, and the plant will die at about 10 degrees colder
than that. Not a chance in -35.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-09-2008, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article , "graham"
writes:

| "Janet Conroy" wrote in
message

| I am bemused by this thread. Where does the owner of this bay tree
live
| - on the summit of Ben Nevis??
|
| I'm a Brit living in Canada. Last winter the temp went down to ~-35C
(-42C
| with windchill). Not much thrives at that temp!

Bay leaves will go brown if the temperature drops below -10 Celcius or
sustained ones of -5, and the plant will die at about 10 degrees colder
than that. Not a chance in -35.

Therefore, it's in a pot in the kitchen, along with the rosemary.
Graham

Old 23-09-2008, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 23, 11:00 am, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article , "graham" writes:

| "Janet Conroy" wrote in message
|
| I am bemused by this thread. Where does the owner of this bay tree live
| - on the summit of Ben Nevis??
|
| I'm a Brit living in Canada. Last winter the temp went down to ~-35C (-42C
| with windchill). Not much thrives at that temp!

Bay leaves will go brown if the temperature drops below -10 Celcius or
sustained ones of -5, and the plant will die at about 10 degrees colder
than that. Not a chance in -35.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mine survives on the NE side of the house, in France, at altitude, all
the top dies off, but it remains healthy and it is now some years
old. It will be covered in ice and snow for part of the year. I did
lose my Rosemary though.

Judith