Old 21-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Pen Phill

Default Tomatoes and how to kill a bay laurel

Hi all.
Two questions. I had a huge bay laurel 30' feet high with several trunks each
8-10" thick growing out from beneath the gable of on old outhouse. The tree/s
themselves have been cut down and the stumps have been repeatedly burnt over
with bonfires but the roots/stumps continue to throw out fresh shoots. What
can I use to kill them properly? It's too big a job to dig them out(at least
without a mechanical digger.)

I regularly pick the new shoots that grow from the stem/leaf junction on my
tomatoes but I have noticed that when trusses of tomatoes are well advanced
that some of the them, particularly the cherry variety continue to grow new
stems from the ends of the truss. Do I just cut these off as well?

TIA
Phil
Old 21-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Rod

"Pen Phill" wrote in message ...
Hi all.
Two questions. I had a huge bay laurel 30' feet high with several trunks each
8-10" thick growing out from beneath the gable of on old outhouse. The tree/s
themselves have been cut down and the stumps have been repeatedly burnt over
with bonfires but the roots/stumps continue to throw out fresh shoots. What
can I use to kill them properly? It's too big a job to dig them out(at least
without a mechanical digger.)

Cut them again and make nicks/ cavities/holes - whatever is easiest and fill them with crystals of Root-Out.

I regularly pick the new shoots that grow from the stem/leaf junction on my
tomatoes but I have noticed that when trusses of tomatoes are well advanced
that some of the them, particularly the cherry variety continue to grow new
stems from the ends of the truss. Do I just cut these off as well?

Yes

Rod

Old 21-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Pen Phill
writes
I regularly pick the new shoots that grow from the stem/leaf junction on my
tomatoes but I have noticed that when trusses of tomatoes are well advanced
that some of the them, particularly the cherry variety continue to grow new
stems from the ends of the truss. Do I just cut these off as well?

Yes, take those off as well, though with cherry tomatoes the need for
restriction is less than with full sized fruits.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.