Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2008, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Horse Manure

On 9 Sep, 15:55, Ed ex@directory wrote:
First time allotment holder, seeking advice...

The local riding stables have left a whole big load of horse manure
outside of our allotment site for folk to use. *It is pretty fresh
(great strong pong from it) and it contains only a moderate amount *of
straw.

Notwithstanding the warnings I have seen on this list and elsewhere
regarding contamination with weed killers and the like, how can I
beneficially use this stuff?

Can I use this *manure straight away on the beds in my plot as a top
mulch and dig it in next spring? *Or should I just add it to my compost
bins and let it mature there for, say, *a year and then use it?

Also which plants would benefit from an application of manure? *I seem
to recall that root crops don't like recently manured beds?

Ed

I wish they'd leave me a few loads.
It wasn't long ago "They" were saying dont use horse manure with
shavings
My neighbours use shavings and sell all the manure they have from 4
horses at 50p a bag
David Hill