Old 13-09-2008, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedge that's quickish?

In article ,
K writes:
| Rusty Hinge 2 writes
| The message
|
| from Compo in Caithness contains these words:
|
| Fuchsia is a beautiful hedging plant but I have been unable to find it
| in the nurseries and had to grow mine from cuttings. Slow but they
| readily root from non-flowering tips.
|
| However, not all of them are hardy.
|
| And even the hardy ones die back to ground level in the eastern half of
| the country

I don't think that any are reliably hardy even here, if we ever have
the sort of winter we used to get up to a decade ago.

| Hawthorn is perhaps one of the finest of hedging plants if you want to
| keep children out! Fast growing and responds well to clipping and
| shaping. Widely available.
|
| But the clippings are a chore to collect, and a meance if not collected.
| The thorns seem to get tougher and stronger as they dry out.

That is true for most plants. Hawthorn isn't really very thorny,
as such plants go, but is prickly enough that I will avoid walking
on it in bare feet.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-09-2008, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Ribes (flowering currant) grows like a weed in my garden. Totally
hardy but not as fast growing as some. Probably best grown from
cuttings.

Also an early-flowering shrub which will attract bees to the garden. I
grow some for just this reason, as the currants aren't worth a searches
for publishable simile tinker's cuss. /searches

Smells like cat's pee, though...

Or as a one-time grilfiend of mine said - 'cats' oxters'.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-09-2008, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2 writes
The message

from Compo in Caithness contains these words:

Birds feed on the hips in late winter. Fast
growing and available as hedging plants from

Fuchsia is a beautiful hedging plant but I have been unable to find it
in the nurseries and had to grow mine from cuttings. Slow but they
readily root from non-flowering tips.

However, not all of them are hardy.

And even the hardy ones die back to ground level in the eastern half of
the country

Not all of them - there are some HUGE fuchsia bushes in the
neighbourhood, and we do get frosts here in the eastern part of the
country.

Outside my back door a while back, I had a water butt, an iron barrel
four feet in diameter, and it froze solid one winter. Also that winter,
the temperature dropped to -20șC one night, and there was ice forming
from my breath on the inside of the walls of the house, despite two
Aladdin paraffin lamps going full blast, along with an Aladdin heater
with a 2"-wick.

Hawthorn is perhaps one of the finest of hedging plants if you want to
keep children out! Fast growing and responds well to clipping and
shaping. Widely available.

But the clippings are a chore to collect, and a meance if not collected.
The thorns seem to get tougher and stronger as they dry out.

Finally, Snowberry. This is a vigorous hedging plant

.... In other words, needs trimming back fortnightly. It also suckers
vigorously and tries to take over the entire garden

But is easy to grab hold of and rip out...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 14-09-2008, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
et...
Good evening.

I am going to plant a hedge in the next week or two. I am undecided as to
what sort. Please could you suggest a hedge that is reasonably quick to
establish and isn't Leylandii. Beech is my default choice at the moment
but I'm throwing myself open to other ideas.

Thank you.

mark

I'm the OP. Thanks for all the ideas. I think I'm going to go with Hawthorn
and dot in some other varieties for interest.

mark

Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 27-09-2008 11:50 PM
Beech Hedge Jimbo United Kingdom 3 04-06-2003 04:56 PM
New Common Laurel Hedge Dying? Miles United Kingdom 1 25-04-2003 08:45 PM
Arborvitae Hedge ' Emerald Green' Phil Gardening 6 19-03-2003 03:20 PM
Privet Hedge IBM United Kingdom 6 07-03-2003 08:55 AM