Old 22-09-2008, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jalapeno Pepper plants indoors.

The message

from Stephen contains these words:

I have come into the office after a nice weekend. The plants appear to
be developing about 4 flower buds between them at the moment! So if
they're self pollinating I shouldn't need to do anything, but would
the previously suggested paintbrush technique help in any way at all?

Dunno, but it can't do any harm.

Give it a feed of tomato fertiliser...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-09-2008, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Sep, 22:27, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message

from Stephen contains these words:

I have come into the office after a nice weekend. The plants appear to
be developing about 4 flower buds between them at the moment! So if
they're self pollinating I shouldn't need to do anything, but would
the previously suggested paintbrush technique help in any way at all?

Dunno, but it can't do any harm.

Give it a feed of tomato fertiliser...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

I pushed a Miracle-Gro Controlled Release Plant Food Tablet into the
soil in the pot. At the plants have gone a richer, darker green, and
seem to be sprouting leaves at a faster rate. The newer leaves seem
shinier too. How much significance these changes have, I don't know.

Old 13-11-2008, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Sep, 13:43, Stephen wrote:
I haven't been here for a while, the last time was ask about lavender
plants. The advice on taking cuttings was spot on, and the single
cutting I took and just stuck into another pot is still doing fine.

Anyway, my topic this time is aboutJalapenoplants.

The office had a charity coffee morning where they were selling cakes,
buns and coffee, and some enterprising sole decided to sell some
plants in pots. That was about four months ago I guess. Anyway I have
kept the pot on my desk since then. My desk gets morning sun from
sunrise until about 9 or 10 am, and then artificial light from then
until 9pm. So I now have a pot with three very green looking plants
about 8 inches tall. On two occasions one or other of these plants has
grown a white flower, which has lasted about a week, and then fallen
off. My question is should these flowers have resulted in a pepper
growing, or are the plants too young at the moment?

The soil is kept moist, and I have a Miracle-Grow plant food tablet
pushed into the pot.

Is there anything else I should be doing to see something interesting
like a pepper grow on these plants?

Cheers

Stephen

Good news folks...

Two little baby Jalapenos have appeared! All of the flowers were
blooming and then shrivelling. The stem holding the flower would then
pinch in where it meets the main stem of the plant, and then fall off.
These two however I had tickled inside with my little finger!

Old 13-11-2008, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen" wrote in message
On 15 Sep, 13:43, Stephen wrote:
[...]

Then you acted like a bee and pollinated the plant. I grow Pimientos de
Padron on my window sill inside and because there are few or no flying
insects around indoors I have to pollinate by hand. Basically I use a very
soft artists paintbrush to transfer pollen - works a treat.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:40 PM
BrownFingers's Avatar
Registered User

Load of pish! I grew mine in a crappy little ash tray on top of a heater... they are now 3 foot high and covered in peppers.... had them 4 years now and they are hardy as hell! Mind my missus loves the gas! bloody hell its a steady 30 deg C in this house! I shit you not my friends!
I'm the New Gardening Daddy... You beta watch out cause I'm the new Kid on the Lawn..!!!!
I'm gonna hoe Yo Gravel.....

Old 13-02-2010, 03:55 PM
PonyPower's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownFingers View Post
Load of pish! I grew mine in a crappy little ash tray on top of a heater... they are now 3 foot high and covered in peppers.... had them 4 years now and they are hardy as hell! Mind my missus loves the gas! bloody hell its a steady 30 deg C in this house! I shit you not my friends!
I've never herb of such a thing??? Is this even posible?