Old 17-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I would like to buy an apricot tree. The book the "fruit expert" mentions Moorpark and early moorpark. Are these the best varieties for the UK?

I visited my local garden centre and they do not have these varieties.
Instead they have Tomcot, Goldcot, and Golden Glow (IIRC). Do you have
any experience of these?

I have a south facing garden in the midlands. The label of the goldcot
said it was a US variety, especially suited to the cold, wet UK
conditions. Is this so? if so, I might be tempted to try that, unless
anyone recommends different.
This is a very reliable nursery, and their descriptions of the different varieties make interesting reading. http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/sto...px?fruittype=5
Mostly it confirms what others say. Moor Park really needs a particularly good location in the south. Golden Glow comes from Malvern where it does well, which is a kind of a recommendation for the Midlands, but of course Worcs is noted for stone fruit in a way that Staffs is not, so there are still issues of locality.

Grafting Apricots WillA Edible Gardening 10 03-03-2004 10:12 AM
Lecture on growing Apricots in cold climates Sherwin Dubren Gardening 20 09-02-2004 06:42 AM
Lecture on growing Apricots in colder climates Sherwin Dubren Edible Gardening 0 25-01-2004 05:32 AM
Apricots Andrew United Kingdom 1 16-06-2003 04:09 PM
Ripening apricots Andrew United Kingdom 3 25-05-2003 11:20 AM