Old 18-09-2008, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default medlars

A lot of fruits on the medlar tree earlier this year. I know you don't shake
the tree till November, but they've all gone. Does something eat medlars?
Or might they have dropped and been taken? Anyone know about medlars?

cheers

Jon

Old 18-09-2008, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/9/08 09:10, in article , "Spooooool"
wrote:

A lot of fruits on the medlar tree earlier this year. I know you don't shake
the tree till November, but they've all gone. Does something eat medlars?
Or might they have dropped and been taken? Anyone know about medlars?

cheers

Jon

Birds eat ours but I don't know which. I'll try to remember to keep an eye
open.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-09-2008, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spooooool" wrote in message
A lot of fruits on the medlar tree earlier this year. I know you don't
shake the tree till November, but they've all gone. Does something eat
medlars? Or might they have dropped and been taken? Anyone know about
medlars?

cheers

Jon

Mine all disappeared lst year too. This year they're OK. Not many though -
it's still young.

Never heard about shaking the tree, I pick mine by hand - but it's not a big
tree :-)

Mary

Old 24-09-2008, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Spooooool" wrote in message
A lot of fruits on the medlar tree earlier this year. I know you don't
shake the tree till November, but they've all gone. Does something eat
medlars? Or might they have dropped and been taken? Anyone know about
medlars?

cheers

Jon

Mine all disappeared lst year too. This year they're OK. Not many though -
it's still young.

Never heard about shaking the tree, I pick mine by hand - but it's not a
big tree :-)

Mary

It seems to be one of those things shrouded in rustic mystery, bletting, an
acquired taste with port and all that. But I found them very yummy, like
cooked apple when, like you, I picked them last year. Which was why I was
peeved this year not to have them. I think I'm going to spread net curtain
over my entire garden, or build an Eden type dome. Or buy a Hawk. Or a
shotgun

Old 24-09-2008, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spooooool" wrote in message

Mine all disappeared lst year too. This year they're OK. Not many
though - it's still young.

Never heard about shaking the tree, I pick mine by hand - but it's not a
big tree :-)

Mary

It seems to be one of those things shrouded in rustic mystery, bletting,
an acquired taste with port and all that. But I found them very yummy,
like cooked apple when, like you, I picked them last year.

I've not tried them with port or any kind of wine, I love them mashed up
with cream.

pause for drool

Which was why I was peeved this year not to have them. I think I'm going
to spread net curtain over my entire garden, or build an Eden type dome. Or
buy a Hawk. Or a shotgun

You think something got at them before you?

Mary

Old 24-09-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Spooooool" wrote in message

Mine all disappeared lst year too. This year they're OK. Not many
though - it's still young.

Never heard about shaking the tree, I pick mine by hand - but it's not a
big tree :-)

It seems to be one of those things shrouded in rustic mystery, bletting,
an acquired taste with port and all that. But I found them very yummy,
like cooked apple when, like you, I picked them last year.

I've not tried them with port or any kind of wine, I love them mashed up
with cream.

pause for drool

Which was why I was peeved this year not to have them. I think I'm going
to spread net curtain over my entire garden, or build an Eden type
dome. Or
buy a Hawk. Or a shotgun

You think something got at them before you?

Shhhhhhhh!

--
The Medlar Meddler