Old 22-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Registered User

Talking Landscaping: Walk on the water

An interesting article from Ezine Articles about landscaping:

Walk on the Water
By Matthew Sorrow

Small bridges and other foot-bridges are so cute and delightful that we are building them in our gardens even there when they are not needed - for example above a small pond that we can simply jump.

Well designed little bridge or foot-bridge is original element of the garden - it's no only gives a charm to a green area but also a possibility to look from above on the living of water creatures and all other living down there. But when having a big bridge in the small garden it can dominate the surrounding and just not look good. In this case we should decided on foot-bridge or bridge made of stones.

Little "water pavement" looks especially good in small brooks also when surrounded by green elements. It looks very natural. But when building such "pavement" we should remember that all the stones must be similar size and can't be putted in water that is higher than half of meter. The stairs that will be made from the stones should be at least 5 cm above the water or if it is a fast water even higher. Stones can't move, of course.

When we are dreaming about for example having a small bridge we should remember that it has to lead somewhere. Bridge has to connect two important parts of the garden or just be a way leading to canopy or corner summerhouse that sometimes might be hidden in the most darkness parts of our garden. And it has to look nice and match the style of the garden. For example we can't have Japanese bridge in the cottage house.

Sometimes it's just better to have a log from one bank to another. Of course it has to be very strong log from tough wood. The look of it won't be as good as the real bridge but it is a simple and inexpensive way to go from one place to another.

The easiest way and most effective is the one that was mentioned earlier - the foot-bridge made of stones. The stones are big, flat and should be putted on the bottom of the pond. The best stone is basalt, granite or porphyry which are resistant to water. Every piece of stone shouldn't be rough to not be slippery even in the water.

When we decide on the wooden foot-bridge we should choose wood very carefully. More preferable oaks or some exotic trees that are tough, like the wood that garden buildings are made of. Generally wood looks good in a part green part water surrounding. And what's most important it's also strong. Parts that are under the water can't be harden by chemical substances and that's why they should be tough, other elements might be made of different kind of wood.

When we put some time to do the bridge correctly we will have a bridge for a long time and a great place to spend a time in.

Connect your pond and canopy by a nice looking bridge and spend your time in a great surrounding.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Matthew_Sorrow http://EzineArticles.com/?Walk-on-the-Water&id=1500772