GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   fuchsia question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/179063-fuchsia-question.html)

Emrys Davies[_2_] 13-10-2008 02:05 PM

fuchsia question

"P. Alves" wrote in message
Thanks guys for all the replies.

The location is Portugal (I used to live in Lancaster/UK) but I moved
recently. Weather here is not always as nice as they picture on TV! It
is not frost free, in winter temperatures can get to -5C at night and
morning frost can be quite bad.

I think I will play on the safe side and keep it frost free, take some
cuttings and then take the risk next winter.

Thanks again.

You will not be taking a risk next winter because by then the roots of
the plants will have hardened in the ground during the summer and
consequently they will withstand the winter frosts, particularly if you
mulch them with suitable material.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Rusty Hinge 2 13-10-2008 09:27 PM

fuchsia question

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
On 12/10/08 21:22, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"
wrote:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Well, ours died, despite it being very mild all winter - indeed, many of
my runner beans survived and came up again, in much the same position.

Bad batch, perhaps? Such things can happen but especially if plants are
forced and then get planted out.

Maybe, but the batch was liberally spread round South Norfolk, and mine
was planted out in the spring.

And the others survived - or not? BTW, I didn't do the bit above about
runner beans. I don't do runner beans. ;-)

As I said up there ^, somewhere, all six died.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig