GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   fuchsia question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/179063-fuchsia-question.html)

P. Alves 09-10-2008 11:17 AM

fuchsia question

Hi,

A friend just brought me a hardy fuchsia "Lady bothby" a kind of a
climber he said. The plant is still small like 30cm. I want to plant
this fuchsia under a tree where it still gets some sun. Now the
question is: should I plant it now or wait for spring?

thanks in advance.

PA

Sacha[_3_] 09-10-2008 11:29 AM

fuchsia question

On 9/10/08 11:17, in article
, "P. Alves"
wrote:

Hi,

A friend just brought me a hardy fuchsia "Lady bothby" a kind of a
climber he said. The plant is still small like 30cm. I want to plant
this fuchsia under a tree where it still gets some sun. Now the
question is: should I plant it now or wait for spring?

thanks in advance.

PA

Depends a bit on where you live but if the soil still has warmth in it, as
it does here, now is fine. However, planting it under a tree does mean it
will compete with the tree for food and water. Also, this is not a self
clinging climber and it will require support and tying in. Could you plant
it against a wall, trained on wires, or trellis, about a foot or two out
from whichever so that the roots are watered by the rain (but not
waterlogged).
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant...1.html?SA=1303
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Emrys Davies[_2_] 09-10-2008 02:14 PM

fuchsia question

"P. Alves" wrote in message
Hi,

A friend just brought me a hardy fuchsia "Lady bothby" a kind of a
climber he said. The plant is still small like 30cm. I want to plant
this fuchsia under a tree where it still gets some sun. Now the
question is: should I plant it now or wait for spring?

thanks in advance.

The roots of your young fuschia will be quite suculent and will not
withstand frost so it is best that you keep it just frostfree until
spring.

A usefull site http://tinyurl.com/4p82s2

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Rusty Hinge 2 09-10-2008 09:59 PM

fuchsia question

The message
from "P. Alves" contains these words:

A friend just brought me a hardy fuchsia "Lady bothby" a kind of a
climber he said. The plant is still small like 30cm. I want to plant
this fuchsia under a tree where it still gets some sun. Now the
question is: should I plant it now or wait for spring?

Lady Boothby.

While it was billed as 'hardy', a friend bought six, of which I had one.

All six were killed by the cold, whereas every other fuchsia I had
survived perfectly.

So, wait till spring and even then, keep your fingers crossed next winter...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Sacha[_3_] 09-10-2008 10:45 PM

fuchsia question

On 9/10/08 21:59, in article ,
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote:

The message
from "P. Alves" contains these words:

A friend just brought me a hardy fuchsia "Lady bothby" a kind of a
climber he said. The plant is still small like 30cm. I want to plant
this fuchsia under a tree where it still gets some sun. Now the
question is: should I plant it now or wait for spring?

Lady Boothby.

While it was billed as 'hardy', a friend bought six, of which I had one.

All six were killed by the cold, whereas every other fuchsia I had
survived perfectly.

So, wait till spring and even then, keep your fingers crossed next winter...

Which is why we need to know where he lives! We saw F. Lady Boothby
clambering around happily in Tresco at a height of around 6', maybe more.
Whether it will do that in Cheshire or Birmingham or Aberdeen, is another
matter. If the OP lives in the warmest parts of the UK or even another
country, he may well be able to plant it out now and let it rip. Location,
location, location applies to plants as well as properties!

Clive Holden 10-10-2008 02:48 PM

fuchsia question

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message

from "P. Alves" contains these words:

A friend just brought me a hardy fuchsia "Lady bothby" a kind of a
climber he said. The plant is still small like 30cm. I want to plant
this fuchsia under a tree where it still gets some sun. Now the
question is: should I plant it now or wait for spring?

Lady Boothby.

While it was billed as 'hardy', a friend bought six, of which I had one.

All six were killed by the cold, whereas every other fuchsia I had
survived perfectly.

So, wait till spring and even then, keep your fingers crossed next
winter...

--
Rusty

They are perfectly hardy. I raised a dozen last year and left them out in
pots and in the ground. What happens is that they lose all their foliage and
you are left with just brown stems. I cut these back half on most of mine
last year and they budded again in the spring. Even those I didn't cut back
were soon shooting again in the warmer weather.

Clive in Kent

Rusty Hinge 2 11-10-2008 12:04 AM

fuchsia question

The message
from "Clive Holden" contains these words:
[...]

All six died. Expired. Popped their clogs. I've been gardening for
around 65 years and I know a dead plant when I see one.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Roo[_2_] 11-10-2008 01:18 AM

fuchsia question

They are perfectly hardy.

Clive in Kent

Remember these two words........

'IN KENT'

;0)

richardroo in cold n damp Lancashire

Sacha[_3_] 11-10-2008 11:10 AM

fuchsia question

On 11/10/08 01:18, in article
, "Roo"
wrote:

They are perfectly hardy.

Clive in Kent

Remember these two words........

'IN KENT'

;0)

richardroo in cold n damp Lancashire

The best answer is, if in doubt, keep it in a frost-free greenhouse and
plant it out in spring. Given the cold nights we're now having, even down
here, that may be the safest option unless the OP is in the very mildest
parts of UK.

Rusty Hinge 2 11-10-2008 08:43 PM

fuchsia question

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
On 11/10/08 01:18, in article
, "Roo"
wrote:

They are perfectly hardy.

Clive in Kent

Remember these two words........

'IN KENT'

;0)

richardroo in cold n damp Lancashire

The best answer is, if in doubt, keep it in a frost-free greenhouse and
plant it out in spring. Given the cold nights we're now having, even down
here, that may be the safest option unless the OP is in the very mildest
parts of UK.

Well, ours died, despite it being very mild all winter - indeed, many of
my runner beans survived and came up again, in much the same position.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Sacha[_3_] 11-10-2008 10:30 PM

fuchsia question

On 11/10/08 20:43, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"

wrote:

They are perfectly hardy.

Clive in Kent

Remember these two words........

'IN KENT'

;0)

richardroo in cold n damp Lancashire

The best answer is, if in doubt, keep it in a frost-free greenhouse and
plant it out in spring. Given the cold nights we're now having, even down
here, that may be the safest option unless the OP is in the very mildest
parts of UK.

Well, ours died, despite it being very mild all winter - indeed, many of
my runner beans survived and came up again, in much the same position.

Bad batch, perhaps? Such things can happen but especially if plants are
forced and then get planted out.

Janet Tweedy 12-10-2008 07:11 PM

fuchsia question

In article , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

Well, ours died, despite it being very mild all winter - indeed, many of
my runner beans survived and came up again, in much the same position.

My runner beans did the same this year came up as a hugely sturdy plant
but funnily enough the beans were really stringy even on the smaller
pods. Whereas the pods last year were remarkably unstringy...
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Rusty Hinge 2 12-10-2008 09:22 PM

fuchsia question

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Well, ours died, despite it being very mild all winter - indeed, many of
my runner beans survived and came up again, in much the same position.

Bad batch, perhaps? Such things can happen but especially if plants are
forced and then get planted out.

Maybe, but the batch was liberally spread round South Norfolk, and mine
was planted out in the spring.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Sacha[_3_] 13-10-2008 12:09 AM

fuchsia question

On 12/10/08 21:22, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"
wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Well, ours died, despite it being very mild all winter - indeed, many of
my runner beans survived and came up again, in much the same position.

Bad batch, perhaps? Such things can happen but especially if plants are
forced and then get planted out.

Maybe, but the batch was liberally spread round South Norfolk, and mine
was planted out in the spring.

And the others survived - or not? BTW, I didn't do the bit above about
runner beans. I don't do runner beans. ;-)

P. Alves 13-10-2008 11:40 AM

fuchsia question

Thanks guys for all the replies.

The location is Portugal (I used to live in Lancaster/UK) but I moved
recently. Weather here is not always as nice as they picture on TV! It
is not frost free, in winter temperatures can get to -5C at night and
morning frost can be quite bad.

I think I will play on the safe side and keep it frost free, take some
cuttings and then take the risk next winter.

Thanks again.

PA