Old 26-10-2008, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ground cover

It want to put down ground cover in front garden. The garden is about 8m
x 7m.

I'd really like to put down marble or granite aggregate, but at about
£6.00 per 5Kg I think the cost would be too much for me at the moment.

I guess then the only financially viable option is to use chipped bark.
One bag of chipped bark covers about 2.5 square metres. So, since I need
to cover about 56 square meters I'd need about 22 bags. Gosh, at £5.28 a
bag it's going to cost me £116.16. That's still a lot of money.

I don't suppose there is a cheaper alternative than chipped bark?

Do I need to lay down a plastic sheet to put ground cover on? TIA.

Old 26-10-2008, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rich" wrote in message
It want to put down ground cover in front garden. The garden is about 8m x
7m.

I'd really like to put down marble or granite aggregate, but at about
£6.00 per 5Kg I think the cost would be too much for me at the moment.

I guess then the only financially viable option is to use chipped bark.
One bag of chipped bark covers about 2.5 square metres. So, since I need
to cover about 56 square meters I'd need about 22 bags. Gosh, at £5.28 a
bag it's going to cost me £116.16. That's still a lot of money.

I don't suppose there is a cheaper alternative than chipped bark?

Do I need to lay down a plastic sheet to put ground cover on? TIA.

Yes the plastic ground sheet to stop weeds.

Have you been to your builder's merchants to see what aggregates/finishes
they have in the 1 Tonne bags?

Must be cheaper and delivered too ;-))

Mike

Old 26-10-2008, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Have you been to your builder's merchants to see what
aggregates/finishes they have in the 1 Tonne bags?

Must be cheaper and delivered too ;-))

Mike

Hi.

No, I've just looked at what B&Q are offering.

Old 26-10-2008, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rich" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Have you been to your builder's merchants to see what aggregates/finishes
they have in the 1 Tonne bags?

Must be cheaper and delivered too ;-))

Mike

Hi.

No, I've just looked at what B&Q are offering.

Something else you must consider is the medium you are putting down or it
will end up a cat's toilet. The vermin from miles around will descend on
your lovely finish area.

Pea Gravel is their favourite :-(( Use 20 mm gravel at least

Mike

Old 26-10-2008, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Rich" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Have you been to your builder's merchants to see what aggregates/finishes
they have in the 1 Tonne bags?

Must be cheaper and delivered too ;-))

Mike

Hi.

No, I've just looked at what B&Q are offering.

Something else you must consider is the medium you are putting down or it
will end up a cat's toilet. The vermin from miles around will descend on
your lovely finish area.

Pea Gravel is their favourite :-(( Use 20 mm gravel at least

Mike

Mike's right, use larger pebbles or stones to reduce the problem and a
builders merchants will always be cheaper than a DIY shed. The plastic
membrane needs to be porous.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 26-10-2008, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Rich" contains these words:

It want to put down ground cover in front garden. The garden is about 8m
x 7m.

I'd really like to put down marble or granite aggregate, but at about
£6.00 per 5Kg I think the cost would be too much for me at the moment.

I guess then the only financially viable option is to use chipped bark.
One bag of chipped bark covers about 2.5 square metres. So, since I need
to cover about 56 square meters I'd need about 22 bags. Gosh, at £5.28 a
bag it's going to cost me £116.16. That's still a lot of money.

I don't suppose there is a cheaper alternative than chipped bark?

Do I need to lay down a plastic sheet to put ground cover on? TIA.

Creeping Jenny, wild strawberries, can't unforget its name, but a
spreading low-frowing thug with varigated deadnettle-like leaves, bugle,
certain junipers, oh, the list is (almost) endless.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 26-10-2008, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message
[...]

Woodchip. Contact local tree surgeons and if you can wait they may be
able to supply at minimum cost, at least they won't have to pay disposal
costs.

Malcolm
Old 26-10-2008, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Lamium?

No idea, but I've got lots of it...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 26-10-2008, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

Woodchip. Contact local tree surgeons and if you can wait they may be
able to supply at minimum cost, at least they won't have to pay disposal
costs.

Round here, surplus woodchips go to the local biofuel power station.

Local estate grows acres of coppiced willow just for the job...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 26-10-2008, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rich" wrote in message
It want to put down ground cover in front garden. The garden is about

8m
x 7m.

I'd really like to put down marble or granite aggregate, but at about
£6.00 per 5Kg I think the cost would be too much for me at the moment.

I guess then the only financially viable option is to use chipped

bark.
One bag of chipped bark covers about 2.5 square metres. So, since I

need
to cover about 56 square meters I'd need about 22 bags. Gosh, at £5.28

bag it's going to cost me £116.16. That's still a lot of money.

I don't suppose there is a cheaper alternative than chipped bark?

Do I need to lay down a plastic sheet to put ground cover on? TIA.

A few years ago I got rid of all the stones from off the soil which used
to be my front lawn, then I laid down heavy duty membrane and covered
that with about 2" of 20mm Gold Blend chippings. I then planted my
favourite shrubs/plants by pushing aside the chippens and cutting the
membrane X shaped to facilitate planting and I am very pleased with the
overall result. Now weeds are non existent and I do not need to water
the plants except, maybe, in very dry conditions.

Make sure you overlap the membrane by a few inches to ensure that weeds
do not protrude. Pegs are not needed to hold down the membrane, but it
is advisable to lay it on a windless day.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.