Old 30-10-2008, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Nashi pear trees

Anyone know of a UK or Belgian source of these? We have a customer looking
for two.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-10-2008, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 30, 11:00*am, Sacha wrote:
Anyone know of a UK or Belgian source of these? *We have a customer looking
for two.

I got mine from Deacon's on IoW. They had Shinseki, Shinsui and Kumoi
last time I looked.

They are a bit frost sensitive towards the end of the year. Tree needs
netting to protect against cold nights whilst fruit is ripening on the
tree. Otherwise you get dark frost damage inside the fruit and they
don't keep.

The fruit look like a darker Russet apple with the same texture and a
tremendously aromatic pear taste. Worth growing if you have a suitable
climate or warm microclimate. Mine crops OK in N Yorkshire sheltered
position.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 30-10-2008, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Anyone know of a UK or Belgian source of these? We have a customer
looking
for two.

--
Sacha

http://www.deaconsnurseryfruits.co.uk/

Mike

Old 31-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_3_] View Post
Anyone know of a UK or Belgian source of these? We have a customer looking for two.
Keepers Nursery do 4 varieties, the above three plus Twentieth Century. However they only have Kumoi remaining for the present season, and 20C is only available to special order.

Mike must have Kumoi if he is talking about frost protecting them to get them ripe. Shinseki and Shinsui are early ripening, my Shinseki ripens in August in a warm year, never later than mid september. Shinseki and 20C are not russet, but a translucent light yellow, very beautiful.

More to the point is that they are quite early flowerers, and you can lose your crop following a nasty frost in early april, as this year. Normal pears serve for cross-pollination, but you'll need an early one.

Nashi Pears Bob Hobden United Kingdom 1 10-07-2005 01:10 PM
Recommended dwarf pear trees JB United Kingdom 2 25-02-2005 12:52 AM
Pear trees: how far apart for pollination? will United Kingdom 2 18-03-2003 08:44 AM