Old 08-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Nashi Pears

Just back from a trip to visit friends near Toulouse and noticed they had a
Nashi Pear (Pyrus pyrifolia)in their large garden which fruits well they
say. Certainly had a nice crop growing on it.
It does grow in Japan and our friends near Toulouse say they had frost down
to -12C last winter so do any of you grow it successfully over here in the
UK (or are our summers too cold) ?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 10-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Martin Brown

Bob Hobden wrote:

Just back from a trip to visit friends near Toulouse and noticed they had a
Nashi Pear (Pyrus pyrifolia)in their large garden which fruits well they
say. Certainly had a nice crop growing on it.
It does grow in Japan and our friends near Toulouse say they had frost down
to -12C last winter so do any of you grow it successfully over here in the
UK (or are our summers too cold) ?

You can grow them OK in the UK. I have one in N Yorkshire. It crops
better than the Comice pear tree despite once having a fence fall on it
and break most of the branches off (not a recommended technique). Fruit
ripen OK most years and are like a crisp aromatic pear flavoured apple.

The only problem is that if the flowers get badly frosted or there are
no suitable pollenators nearby you don't get a good fruit set (not sure
what their requirements are but local western pear trees seem to be
sufficient). I expect it would prefer a warmer continental climate but
it will grow and crop even in North Yorkshire.

Given a choice of only one pear I would grow Doyen du Comice though.

Regards,
Martin Brown