Old 04-11-2008, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost question

Can glossy paper junk mail be composted? Are there any harmful chemicals
in such paper? I already compost newspaper type paper and cardboard, but
most of my junk mail is on glossy paper.
--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from David in Normandy contains these words:

Can glossy paper junk mail be composted? Are there any harmful chemicals
in such paper? I already compost newspaper type paper and cardboard, but
most of my junk mail is on glossy paper.

Yes, but avoid plastic-coated stuff.

Glossy paper generally contains white clay.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 04-11-2008, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" asked:
Can glossy paper junk mail be composted? Are there any harmful chemicals
in such paper? I already compost newspaper type paper and cardboard, but
most of my junk mail is on glossy paper.
--

I was advised not to add glossy printed paper or card to my compost,
especially if the compost is going to end up on a vegetable garden.

MD

Old 04-11-2008, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Spooooool writes
I wouldn't, you might try it in a worm bin

Why would it be OK in a worm bin if not OK in a compost bin?

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Can glossy paper junk mail be composted? Are there any harmful
chemicals in such paper? I already compost newspaper type paper and
cardboard, but most of my junk mail is on glossy paper.
-- David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

--
Kay

Old 04-11-2008, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 13:51:03 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message
from David in Normandy contains these
words:

Can glossy paper junk mail be composted? Are there any harmful
chemicals in such paper? I already compost newspaper type paper and
cardboard, but most of my junk mail is on glossy paper.

Yes, but avoid plastic-coated stuff.

Glossy paper generally contains white clay.

Correct. The high-quality glossy mags in newsagents etc can contain up
to 25% by weight of china clay. It makes up a substantial part of the
ash when such items are burned. Visitors to Cornwall will be familiar
with the 'Cornish Alps', the mountains of waste sand around St.
Austell. These are the result of mining china clay, the greater part
of which was used in the manufacture of paper, not china as the name
would suggest.

As to printing inks, a few decades ago they could been pretty noxious,
but in these days of Health & Safety, both paper manufacturers and
printers have to consider not only the health of their own employees
who use the inks, but they also have to think about what happens to
their products 'down the line', e.g. a small child making a meal of a
glossy mag, food in contact with colourfully printed packaging, or the
disposal of residues from the de-inking processes that are part of
today's paper recycling business. I would be very surprised if modern
printing inks present any hazard whatsoever.

For food packaging, vegetable oil based inks are used. For other/magazine
printing....it's 'other' oil.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 04-11-2008, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Of course Pete, working in that industry, you are an expert, is there
anything noxious mixed in with the vegetable oil?

Judith
Old 05-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C[_2_] View Post
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 13:51:03 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message
from David in Normandy
contains these
words:

[...]

I agree with all above except to say that i have killed my fair share of worms using to much 'glossy papers' , they seem to tolerate small doses of say one page of gloss to five pages paper but anymore and in my experience they become lethargic to the extent they do not do any work! Remember that all toxins will leach out of compost eventually so if in doubt leave composting for longer. cheers.
Old 30-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Registered User

Apart from tissue papers and the cheapest newsprint, most paper contains white minerals of one sort or another. Mineral fillers (within the body of the paper) are used to give the paper opacity and weight, and mineral coatings (on the surface) are used to give whiteness, weight, a smooth surface suitable for high quality printing, and a high gloss.