Old 12-12-2008, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A bit OT - blackbird

I saw an interesting blackbird perched on my Exochorda earlier. It was a
male, being totally black, had a yellow beak but no yellow eye ring.

I had always understood that the British black bird was black with yellow
beak and eye ring and that the european blackbird was also black, but with
brown beak and no discernible eye ring.

Have I always got this wrong, or could British and european blackbirds be
cross-breeding? .... or another explanation.

Spider

Old 12-12-2008, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Spider
writes
I saw an interesting blackbird perched on my Exochorda earlier. It was a
male, being totally black, had a yellow beak but no yellow eye ring.

I had always understood that the British black bird was black with yellow
beak and eye ring and that the european blackbird was also black, but with
brown beak and no discernible eye ring.

Have I always got this wrong, or could British and european blackbirds be
cross-breeding? .... or another explanation.

Spider

A male bird hatched this year will probably not yet have developed the
yellow eye ring of the full adult. You may find posting this to
uk.rec.birdwatching more productive in terms of coherent replies.
--
Turnstone
Old 12-12-2008, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Turnstone" wrote in message
In message , Spider
writes
I saw an interesting blackbird perched on my Exochorda earlier. It was a
male, being totally black, had a yellow beak but no yellow eye ring.

I had always understood that the British black bird was black with yellow
beak and eye ring and that the european blackbird was also black, but with
brown beak and no discernible eye ring.

Have I always got this wrong, or could British and european blackbirds be
cross-breeding? .... or another explanation.

Spider

A male bird hatched this year will probably not yet have developed the
yellow eye ring of the full adult. You may find posting this to
uk.rec.birdwatching more productive in terms of coherent replies.
--
Turnstone

Thanks, I'll try that.
Spider

Old 12-12-2008, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snippy
I wondered where all the yellow beaks had gone -
I now know I have a garden populated by European blackbirds.
The question is: should I continue to encourage them by
providing food on the ground?

Oh, come on now........are you serously a racist bird feeder?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 12-12-2008, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Conroy contains
these words:

I wondered where all the yellow beaks had gone -
I now know I have a garden populated by European blackbirds.
The question is: should I continue to encourage them by
providing food on the ground?

Why not? they migrate every winter - except (probably) in particularly
mild ones.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Registered User

Why not? they migrate every winter - except (probably) in particularly
mild ones.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig[/quote]

As long as they're not the avian equivalent of grey squirrels.
I wish they'd stop chucking mulch and leaves onto the paths.
Old 13-12-2008, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
I saw an interesting blackbird perched on my Exochorda earlier. It

was a
male, being totally black, had a yellow beak but no yellow eye ring.

I had always understood that the British black bird was black with

yellow
beak and eye ring and that the european blackbird was also black, but

with
brown beak and no discernible eye ring.

Have I always got this wrong, or could British and european blackbirds

be
cross-breeding? .... or another explanation.

Spider

Spider,

This site http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/blackbird.htm expains it
all.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 17-12-2008, 03:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"Spider" wrote in message
I saw an interesting blackbird perched on my Exochorda earlier. It

was a
male, being totally black, had a yellow beak but no yellow eye ring.

I had always understood that the British black bird was black with

yellow
beak and eye ring and that the european blackbird was also black, but

with
brown beak and no discernible eye ring.

Have I always got this wrong, or could British and european blackbirds

be
cross-breeding? .... or another explanation.

Spider

Spider,

This site http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/blackbird.htm expains it
all.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Thanks Emrys. I've had a look, and it's a good site; duly saved in my
'favourites'.

Spider

Female blackbird Padraig Garden Photos 0 05-01-2007 06:09 AM
Blackbird problem ken1956 Gardening 4 25-05-2005 04:23 PM
Newbie: Help !! Magpie ate my blackbird chicks !! john.morgan United Kingdom 3 22-07-2004 06:18 PM
OT - Blackbird seems to be sunbathing! Chris United Kingdom 1 23-05-2004 08:06 PM
followup on Blackbird posting John Savage Australia 8 05-04-2003 06:36 AM