Old 31-01-2009, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Neomarica

Does anybody know where I can get a yellow Neomarica in this country? I
have searched and searched but with no luck. They seem to be available in
the U.S. but not here.

someone

Old 01-02-2009, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/1/09 22:42, in article ,
"someone" wrote:

Does anybody know where I can get a yellow Neomarica in this country? I
have searched and searched but with no luck. They seem to be available in
the U.S. but not here.

someone

Try www.desirableplants.com

Despite the fact that we're practically neighbours, we'd never heard of them
until recently but they list what you're after. NB Mail Order by post only
- nobody can call at the Nursery and the address they give is not where the
Nursery is located, apparently.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-02-2009, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...

Try www.desirableplants.com

Despite the fact that we're practically neighbours, we'd never heard of
them
until recently but they list what you're after. NB Mail Order by post
only
- nobody can call at the Nursery and the address they give is not where
the
Nursery is located, apparently.

Yet another rather interesting plant list, that's two new nurseries in as
many days.

BTW they only seem to list the blue Neomarica caerulea not the yellow N.
longifolia.

http://www.bulbsociety.org/GALLERY_O...ricalist.shtml

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-02-2009, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/2/09 12:48, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ...

Try
www.desirableplants.com

Despite the fact that we're practically neighbours, we'd never heard of
them
until recently but they list what you're after. NB Mail Order by post
only
- nobody can call at the Nursery and the address they give is not where
the
Nursery is located, apparently.

Yet another rather interesting plant list, that's two new nurseries in as
many days.

BTW they only seem to list the blue Neomarica caerulea not the yellow N.
longifolia.

http://www.bulbsociety.org/GALLERY_O...Neomarica/Neom
aricalist.shtml

Tsk! ;-) I don't know anything about them but perhaps they collect and
propagate plants they find themselves on their travels. Certainly their
enthusiasm seems immense and they list some really interesting things.
David Poole may know of them, perhaps?

Old 01-02-2009, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 31/1/09 22:42, in article ,
"someone" wrote:

Does anybody know where I can get a yellow Neomarica in this country? I
have searched and searched but with no luck. They seem to be available in
the U.S. but not here.

someone

Try
www.desirableplants.com

Despite the fact that we're practically neighbours, we'd never heard of them
until recently but they list what you're after. NB Mail Order by post only
- nobody can call at the Nursery and the address they give is not where the
Nursery is located, apparently.

Run by Julian and his wife, their planning permissions do not allow for
retailing at the nursery, we meet them at plant sales all over the place.
I think he does quite a few of the "Rare Plant fairs" and I know he is
happy to take plants to those, from what I can remember he doesn't do
mail order all year around.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 01-02-2009, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/2/09 14:45, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 31/1/09 22:42, in article ,
"someone" wrote:

[...]

When I saw Plant Fairs mentioned on their site, I thought you might know
them, Charlie. Have they been going for a long time? From what the site
says I don't think the Nursery is actually where they live,and if it's where
I'm thinking of, the access is quite difficult which could be why it's mail
order only. Bit like Guy Sisson's place when he was still in Devon?

Old 01-02-2009, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/2/09 15:25, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 14:33:27 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 1/2/09 12:48, in article
, "Bob Hobden"

http://www.bulbsociety.org/GALLERY_O...S/Neomarica/Ne
om
aricalist.shtml

Tsk! ;-) I don't know anything about them but perhaps they collect and
propagate plants they find themselves on their travels. Certainly their
enthusiasm seems immense and they list some really interesting things.
David Poole may know of them, perhaps?

Maybe they import plants and sell them by mail order?

Could be. I just don't know but Charlie will.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 1/2/09 14:45, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 31/1/09 22:42, in article ,
"someone" wrote:

[...]

I think they had just started when I first met them at Tiverton plant
sale, in about 1997-8 I know he does not live at the nursery site as he
told me he brings stuff home in the winter and they do a lot of division
on the kitchen floor! We were having one of those "Whos got the worst
site" conversations!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 16:10:02 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 1/2/09 15:25, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 14:33:27 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 1/2/09 12:48, in article
, "Bob
Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ...

Try
www.desirableplants.com

Despite the fact that we're practically neighbours, we'd never heard
of
them
until recently but they list what you're after. NB Mail Order by
post
only
- nobody can call at the Nursery and the address they give is not
where
the
Nursery is located, apparently.

Yet another rather interesting plant list, that's two new nurseries in
as
many days.

BTW they only seem to list the blue Neomarica caerulea not the yellow
N.
longifolia.

Thanks to all of your for your interest and comments. It's true that I'm
after Neomarica longifolia, but I will get in touch with Desirableplants and
see if they can offer any advice.

I first saw these plants in the countryside in Cuba a couple of years ago
and thought they were beautiful and unusual, but couldn't find out what they
were. It wasn't until I saw a similar plant (although not flowering at the
time) in a greenhouse at Lackham that I was able to put a name to it. They
are available in the U.S. and in New Zealand, but sadly not here. Will keep
looking.

Thanks again for your help.

someone