Old 05-02-2009, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dont now if this little Propagation site will interest anyone

Hi,

Some of the subscribers have been assisting me with some apple tree
rootstock grafting queries. I have been following these up and found a
site on the internet that may be of interest, it covers a wide range
of propagation tips etc.

http://www.gtz-treecrops.org/TrainingManuals.htm

Regards

Gary.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 5 Feb, 12:15, Jon wrote:
Hi,

Some of the subscribers have been assisting me with some apple tree
rootstock grafting queries. I have been following these up and found a
site on the internet that may be of interest, it covers a wide range
of propagation tips etc.

*http://www.gtz-treecrops.org/TrainingManuals.htm

Regards

Gary.

Good site, I've saved it
David Hill
Old 06-02-2009, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Dave
Hill writes
On 5 Feb, 12:15, Jon wrote:
Hi,

Some of the subscribers have been assisting me with some apple tree
rootstock grafting queries. I have been following these up and found a
site on the internet that may be of interest, it covers a wide range
of propagation tips etc.

*http://www.gtz-treecrops.org/TrainingManuals.htm

Regards

Gary.

Good site, I've saved it
David Hill

Would it really be true that seeds that float won't germinate and to
throw them away?
(It says to put all seeds in a bucket of water to test them before
sowing and then goes on about throwing away the floating ones!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 06-02-2009, 01:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:
In article
, Dave
Hill writes
On 5 Feb, 12:15, Jon wrote:
Hi,

Some of the subscribers have been assisting me with some apple tree
rootstock grafting queries. I have been following these up and found a
site on the internet that may be of interest, it covers a wide range
of propagation tips etc.

*http://www.gtz-treecrops.org/TrainingManuals.htm

Good site, I've saved it

Would it really be true that seeds that float won't germinate and to
throw them away?
(It says to put all seeds in a bucket of water to test them before
sowing and then goes on about throwing away the floating ones!

Depends on the seeds. Some (like the coconut) are designed to float.
Cucurbit seeds that float are nearly always empty shells.

The best way is to plant them all - the ones which come up are the good
ones...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 06-02-2009, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:

Would it really be true that seeds that float won't germinate and to
throw them away?
(It says to put all seeds in a bucket of water to test them before
sowing and then goes on about throwing away the floating ones!

In many cases, yes, and I think that apple is one. In others, no.
The reason is that floating seeds may be empty, or may have been
eaten by a weevil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge writes

Would it really be true that seeds that float won't germinate and to
throw them away?
(It says to put all seeds in a bucket of water to test them before
sowing and then goes on about throwing away the floating ones!

Depends on the seeds. Some (like the coconut) are designed to float.
Cucurbit seeds that float are nearly always empty shells.

The best way is to plant them all - the ones which come up are the good
ones...

Well the site in question recommends discarding any floating seeds!
Old 07-02-2009, 01:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:
In article ,
Rusty_Hinge writes

Would it really be true that seeds that float won't germinate and to
throw them away?
(It says to put all seeds in a bucket of water to test them before
sowing and then goes on about throwing away the floating ones!

Depends on the seeds. Some (like the coconut) are designed to float.
Cucurbit seeds that float are nearly always empty shells.

The best way is to plant them all - the ones which come up are the good
ones...

Well the site in question recommends discarding any floating seeds!

I know.

I only discard seeds that I *KNOW* are infertile, not on advice from
somebody who may know absolutely nothing, and probably does.

It goes without saying that seed husks with no seed within are bound to
float. While I haven't tried it, I predict that fertile hazelnuts will
float, as will sunflower seeds.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 07-02-2009, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge writes

It goes without saying that seed husks with no seed within are bound to
float. While I haven't tried it, I predict that fertile hazelnuts will
float, as will sunflower seeds.

As will viola and petunias? Just thought I ought to mention the rather
weird tips on the site recommended although i am sure most of the rest
of the information might be helpful
There used to be a HUGE germination database by one of the US
universities online but I haven't seen it for ages. I save the RHS
guides each year and i have several books but you can bet your bottom
dollar the seed i want to start aren't in any book
Old 07-02-2009, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

As will viola and petunias? Just thought I ought to mention the rather
weird tips on the site recommended although i am sure most of the rest
of the information might be helpful
There used to be a HUGE germination database by one of the US
universities online but I haven't seen it for ages. I save the RHS
guides each year and i have several books but you can bet your bottom
dollar the seed i want to start aren't in any book

I'm about to plant some red nightshade seeds.

Even Kew didn't have any in their Millennium wossname project - they
have, now...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig