Old 01-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Registered User

Default Ok yes im new, now dont shoot me

Many years ago when I was very young I decided I had to have a bonsai and with my first Months wage packet I went and purchased 6 or 7 bonsai trees and after a few weeks there was nothing left. I was young and had no idea and now im old and have no idea but want to try to get into keeping bonsai now that im alot more responsible and the first thing to do is find a decent forum so I can discuss issues, questions, problems with people who know what im talking about.

Is it best to buy some seeds and start from scratch, or should I purchase nursery trees that are apparently 8 years old? Ive heard Elm is the best for beginners, is this correct, should that be my choice?

Im in the UK down south coast if that makes any difference to my choices.

Thanks for looking and remember everyone has to start somewhere.

cheers

Old 01-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Alan Walker

Technium: OK, you've accomplished your first goal by finding this
forum. ;-) By the way, you will find it worth your while to visit
the IBC web site, especially the Galleries at
http://internetbonsaiclub.org/smf/Itemid,133/
I think a secondary, related goal would be to find others
in your locale who share your burgeoning passion for bonsai.
There are many bonsai clubs in the UK, and one is bound to be
relatively near you. The UK bonsai scene has been in a bit of
organizational disarray for a while, so current information is
hard to find, but one, albeit dated, source of UK bonsai club
contact information is found at
http://freespace.virgin.net/kath.hughes/page3.html It would be
wonderful if ABBA or FoBBS could manage to update this, but I
know it is tough to get people to cooperate.
It is certainly OK to start from scratch and buy some
seeds, but most people prefer to start with a tree with more
substance. If you have an inclination toward propagation, by all
means get your seeds. It will be an advantage further down the
road. Most of us are patient, but not that patient, however. ;-)
Elm is an excellent choice for a novice. It is hardy,
develops rather quickly, has an abundance of foliage, and has
interesting branching, bark and leaves which have good scale for
bonsai. Another popular choice is juniper, for the same reasons.
Welcome to the club, and let us know how it's going.
Alan Walker

[...]

T -- Technium

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 01-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Kitsune Miko

This is a mixed forum of experts and other folks with varying levels experience. Yes, we do discuss bonsai. There are times we disagree. You have to find a local source for information specific to your area.

On seeds: We had a beginner last month ask the same question. I just read some new books and magazines from Bonsai Today. If you are very dilligent and feed your seedlings in a specific manner, you can have a decent tree in about 5 years. If you don't want to wait that long, then buy some nursery stock, or do some of both.

On nursery stock: There are features in nursery stock that you cannot change. The thing to for look for first is nebari, or how the roots spread out from the base. You want to style both roots and branches as if they were embracing you rather than pointing a finger at you (or eye poking as the Japanese say). Look at trunk shape. Does it have an intereting line. On most plants, especially elms, you can worry about branches later.

Check out the IBC archives.

Kitsune Miko (who is not japanese)

Technium wrote:
Many years ago when I was very young I decided I had to have a bonsai
and with my first Months wage packet I went and purchased 6 or 7 bonsai
trees and after a few weeks there was nothing left. I was young and had
no idea and now im old and have no idea but want to try to get into
keeping bonsai now that im alot more responsible and the first thing to
do is find a decent forum so I can discuss issues, questions, problems
with people who know what im talking about.

Is it best to buy some seeds and start from scratch, or should I
purchase nursery trees that are apparently 8 years old? Ive heard Elm
is the best for beginners, is this correct, should that be my choice?

Im in the UK down south coast if that makes any difference to my
choices.

Thanks for looking and remember everyone has to start somewhere.

cheers

Technium

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Marty Haber

Good for you! It sounds like you're ready for us. We'll help you in any
way we can.
Now, I'll answer your first questions.
Don't start with seeds. They take too long before they will become bonsai
material. Start looking at nurseries.
When inspecting the possibilities, look for interesting trunks, particulary
those which flair out at the base. Next, look for branches which alternate
their way up the trunk. You don't want muliple trunks for starters - just
one single trunk. Now if you find something interesting, don't tell the
proprietor you're looking for bonsai material: that would double the price.
In your note, you memtioned 8 year-old trees. Don't worry about the age.
What you want is a tree that LOOKS old, no matter what age it is.
As for elms, there are many varieties. Among the most popular are zelkova
and Chinese elm. Zelkova is hardy where you are, but Chinese elm should
have some winter protection. An unheated porch or a cold frame would be
ideal. Just be sure that you know the limits of the trees you select.
Finally, nobody in this club is going to shoot you for your limited
knowledge of bonsai. The more questions you ask, the better we like it! We
even like questions to which we have no answers. They make us go back to
our sources to brush up on ourselves. Welcome back to bonsai!