Old 23-02-2009, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cherry tree help

Hello fellow gardeners

I just today bought Helderfinger and Morello cherry trees.
The Helderfinger is a self pollinator and the Morello is partly self
fertile.
I assume that this pair will be ok planted 20feet apart?

But when?
What do they need?
What DON'T they need?

I have trawled the web and have not the answers, hence my Q

I live in UK just south of the Humber Bridge.....Sunny Scunny.

Any advice tips etc. will be welcome.

Thanks
Part_No
Old 23-02-2009, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Part_No" contains these words:

I just today bought Helderfinger and Morello cherry trees.
The Helderfinger is a self pollinator and the Morello is partly self
fertile.
I assume that this pair will be ok planted 20feet apart?

Should be.

But when?

ASAP

What do they need?

I'd dig a deep hole, chuck in any bones, old leather, woollens etc you
can lay your hands on, and mix well-rotted compost and bonemeal with the
spoil as you replace it round the roots.

If they will be in an exposed position, stake them against too much
waving in the wind.

Water them in as you go so that the root hairs (that remain!) can begin
their absorbtion of moisture and nutrients.

I would prevent a bare-root planted tree from fruiting during its first
year, but allow a container-grown one to decide for itself...

What DON'T they need?

Greenfly, being used as goalposts or wickets, and when they fruit, blackbirds.

And of all those, the cream of the crop is blackbirds.

And more blackbirds. They *LOVE* cherries, and swallow the things whole...

So - you'll need a good lot of netting.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-02-2009, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

What DON'T they need?

Greenfly, being used as goalposts or wickets, and when they fruit, blackbirds.

And of all those, the cream of the crop is blackbirds.

My greenfly are nowhere near large enough to use in that way, and I
have never got my blackbirds to fruit :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.