Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Using the fibre pots

Donna UK wrote:
Hi All

I am trying to grow my tomatoes in the fibre pots in a propagator on
the window cill. I noticed that the pots have a horrible hairy grey
mould, will this hurt the seeds and is this normal?

Donna

It prob isn't right, but I get the same every year. Going to try root
trainers this year instead.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 11-03-2009, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message

Donna UK wrote:
Hi All

I am trying to grow my tomatoes in the fibre pots in a propagator on
the window cill. I noticed that the pots have a horrible hairy grey
mould, will this hurt the seeds and is this normal?

Donna

It prob isn't right, but I get the same every year. Going to try root
trainers this year instead.
--
Pete C
London UK

I have been using root trainers for about 5 years, mostly for sweet peas and
runner beans, plenty of space for tap root.
They are re-usable, and well worth the money, they come with trays and clear
plastic covers.

Highly recommended.

http://www.rootrainers.co.uk/
Regards
Cineman

Old 12-03-2009, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
cineman wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
Donna UK wrote:

I am trying to grow my tomatoes in the fibre pots in a propagator on
the window cill. I noticed that the pots have a horrible hairy grey
mould, will this hurt the seeds and is this normal?

It prob isn't right, but I get the same every year. Going to try root
trainers this year instead.

'Right'? It's normal and harmless - ignore it.

I have been using root trainers for about 5 years, mostly for sweet peas and
runner beans, plenty of space for tap root.
They are re-usable, and well worth the money, they come with trays and clear
plastic covers.

I use home-made paper pots. You can make several a minute, so there
is no problem in making 50-100, and the size I make is bigger than
most root trainers, so those plants can be left in them longer.

Cut a newspaper (NOT a glossy magazine) into half lengthways. Have
a small pot and brush or squeeze bottle of some convenient glue
(flour-and-water-paste, PVA, 'school glue', probably even wallpaper
paste - but some contain algicide). Roll a strip loosely around
the end of an old beer bottle or similar, stick the end of the strip
on, fold the ends in using some good squirts of glue, push the end
of the bottle against your worksurface (which must not matter if
you get glue on it), move the pot off and chuck on one side to dry.
Repeat.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/3/09 09:42, in article ,
" wrote:

In article ,
cineman wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
Donna UK wrote:

[...]

And if you want 'posh pots', the RHS sell a pot maker (currently out of
stock!)
http://shop.wisley.co.uk/product_inf...=NWTC%20PAPPOT
--
Sacha