Old 25-03-2009, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plant id :Small tree with purple/ greenish

I found this small purple plant in the garden last year, I potted it,
then all its purple-ish foilage came away so i thought it was dying
but this year i got a pinkish single flower so far. Also the leafs
look greenish this year. It may get darker later i think.

Is this a ... burgundy cherry tree?

http://i44.tinypic.com/2e2dlkp.jpg

thank you in advance.
Old 25-03-2009, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john smile" wrote in message
I found this small purple plant in the garden last year, I potted it,
then all its purple-ish foilage came away so i thought it was dying
but this year i got a pinkish single flower so far. Also the leafs
look greenish this year. It may get darker later i think.

Is this a ... burgundy cherry tree?

http://i44.tinypic.com/2e2dlkp.jpg

thank you in advance.

I doubt your link is correct .. it is not underscored .. and I cannot access
it.

Spider

Old 25-03-2009, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

"john smile" wrote in message
I found this small purple plant in the garden last year, I potted it,
then all its purple-ish foilage came away so i thought it was dying
but this year i got a pinkish single flower so far. Also the leafs
look greenish this year. It may get darker later i think.

Is this a ... burgundy cherry tree?

http://i44.tinypic.com/2e2dlkp.jpg

thank you in advance.

I doubt your link is correct .. it is not underscored .. and I cannot access
it.

Yes, it is. It may well be a seedling cherry, of sorts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-03-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:
"john smile" wrote in message

I found this small purple plant in the garden last year, I potted it,
then all its purple-ish foilage came away so i thought it was dying
but this year i got a pinkish single flower so far. Also the leafs
look greenish this year. It may get darker later i think.

Is this a ... burgundy cherry tree?

http://i44.tinypic.com/2e2dlkp.jpg

thank you in advance.

I doubt your link is correct .. it is not underscored .. and I cannot
access
it.

Copy the URL and paste it into your browser - the [IMG] [/IMG] bits
(whatever they are for) are (wrongly) abutting the URL

The address is http://i44.tinypic.com/2e2dlkp.jpg - however,
i44.tinypic.com not found.

Your search - http://i44.tinypic.com/2e2dlkp.jpg - did not match any
documents.

Suggestions:

* Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
* Try different keywords.
* Try more general keywords.

Rusty
Old 25-03-2009, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/3/09 17:36, in article
, "john
smile" wrote:

I found this small purple plant in the garden last year, I potted it,
then all its purple-ish foilage came away so i thought it was dying
but this year i got a pinkish single flower so far. Also the leafs
look greenish this year. It may get darker later i think.

Is this a ... burgundy cherry tree?

http://i44.tinypic.com/2e2dlkp.jpg

thank you in advance.

A malus of some sort, I'd think. Could even be almond. I'll take a closer
look at ours tomorrow!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-03-2009, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from contains these words:
In article ,
Spider wrote:
"john smile" wrote in message

I found this small purple plant in the garden last year, I potted it,
then all its purple-ish foilage came away so i thought it was dying
but this year i got a pinkish single flower so far. Also the leafs
look greenish this year. It may get darker later i think.

Is this a ... burgundy cherry tree?

http://i44.tinypic.com/2e2dlkp.jpg

thank you in advance.

I doubt your link is correct .. it is not underscored .. and I cannot
access
it.

Yes, it is. It may well be a seedling cherry, of sorts.

Looks more like a 'prunus' - ornamental plum, not Prunus...

--
Rusty
Old 25-03-2009, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

. uk...
"john smile" wrote in message

I found this small purple plant in the garden last year, I potted it,
then all its purple-ish foilage came away so i thought it was dying
but this year i got a pinkish single flower so far. Also the leafs
look greenish this year. It may get darker later i think.

Is this a ... burgundy cherry tree?

http://i44.tinypic.com/2e2dlkp.jpg

thank you in advance.

I doubt your link is correct .. it is not underscored .. and I cannot
access
it.

Copy the URL and paste it into your browser - the [IMG] [/IMG] bits
(whatever they are for) are (wrongly) abutting the URL

The address is http://i44.tinypic.com/2e2dlkp.jpg - however,
i44.tinypic.com not found.

Thanks Rusty, you're a gent! Got it now. :~)

Looks a bit like Prunus cistena Crimson Dwarf. Very pretty.

Spider

Old 26-03-2009, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I am now sure it is Prunus cistena Crimson after checking on the net.

Thank you
Old 27-03-2009, 01:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 26, 11:39*pm, john smile wrote:
I am now sure it is Prunus cistena Crimson after checking on the net.

Thank you

The emergent leaves appear to be rather too pale to be those of
'Crimson Dwarf', which has reddish-purple new growth deepening with
maturity. It is probably an un-named form of P. x cistena used for
hedging, but despite that almost all forms are worth having and can
develop into attractive small to medium sized shrubs. We had a hedge
of a very similar form many years ago and in some years it produced
reasonable crops of very passable plums as well. They were in the
same class as any of the culinary varieties, but pleasant enough non-
the-less.
Old 27-03-2009, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 27 Mar, 01:48, DaveP wrote:
On Mar 26, 11:39*pm, john smile wrote:

I am now sure it is Prunus cistena Crimson after checking on the net.

Thank you

The emergent leaves appear to be rather too pale to be those of
'Crimson Dwarf', which has reddish-purple new growth deepening with
maturity. *It is probably an un-named form of P. x cistena used for
hedging, but despite that almost all forms are worth having and can
develop into attractive small to medium sized shrubs. *We had a hedge
of a very similar form many years ago and in some years it produced
reasonable crops of very passable plums as well. *They were in the
same class as any of the culinary varieties, but pleasant enough non-
the-less.

I'd go for a flowering crab apple, I did think of Malus profusion at
first but think it's not that now.
David Hill

seedlings grow poorly, many greenish spots. What to do? Cicero_wnb Gardening 5 12-04-2004 11:02 AM
seedlings grow poorly, many greenish spots. What to do? Cicero_wnb Gardening 2 06-04-2004 08:51 PM
Greenish Tint! George Rice Ponds 5 24-07-2003 11:02 AM
GE Sunshine bulbs too greenish Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
GE Sunshine bulbs too greenish Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 06-03-2003 08:25 AM