Old 26-03-2009, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What not to plant

On Mar 26, 10:59*am, Pam Moore wrote:

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Wild garlic without a doubt.(see earlier thread) It came diguised in a
mixed packet of small rockery bulbs given to me a present. For a few
years it behaved itself and then, in no time at all, it was
everywhere.

Also the small creeping euphorbia. It is controlable, with effort, but
when clearing out a bit one day I foolishly wiped the sweat from my
eyes and within a few minutes I was on my way to hospital with
alarmingly swollen eyes - the original bug-eyed monster! I am more
careful now.
Old 26-03-2009, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Mar 26, 10:59 am, Pam Moore wrote:

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Wild garlic without a doubt.(see earlier thread) It came diguised in a
mixed packet of small rockery bulbs given to me a present. For a few
years it behaved itself and then, in no time at all, it was
everywhere.

Also the small creeping euphorbia. It is controlable, with effort, but
when clearing out a bit one day I foolishly wiped the sweat from my
eyes and within a few minutes I was on my way to hospital with
alarmingly swollen eyes - the original bug-eyed monster! I am more
careful now.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the eyes .. sounds really painful. I had the
galloping euphorbia once, but I already knew about its toxicity. It's
surprising how many people don't know. I was talking to local landscapers
yesterday who didn't even know the plant. I put them very much in the
picture, and I hope they'll be careful now.

Spider

Old 26-03-2009, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 26, 6:00*pm, "Spider" wrote:

Also the small creeping euphorbia. It is controlable, with effort, but
when clearing out a bit one day I foolishly wiped the sweat from my
eyes and within a few minutes I was on my way to hospital with
alarmingly swollen eyes - the original bug-eyed monster! *I am more
careful now.

Ouch! *Sorry to hear about the eyes .. sounds really painful. *I had the
galloping euphorbia once, but I already knew about its toxicity. *It's
surprising how many people don't know. *I was talking to local landscapers
yesterday who didn't even know the plant. *I put them very much in the
picture, and I hope they'll be careful now.

The worst part of it was that I was aware of the toxicity, but forgot
for the brief instant I wiped my eyes. I would not have believed that
eye balls could swell!
Old 26-03-2009, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

moghouse wrote:
The worst part of it was that I was aware of the toxicity, but forgot
for the brief instant I wiped my eyes. I would not have believed that
eye balls could swell!

I can believe it. I have the same reaction with sunflowers

Old 04-04-2009, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Ophelia writes
moghouse wrote:
The worst part of it was that I was aware of the toxicity, but forgot
for the brief instant I wiped my eyes. I would not have believed that
eye balls could swell!

I can believe it. I have the same reaction with sunflowers

My son has it with grass cuttings. Looks very scary, but subsides
quickly after an antihistamine tablet.

--
Kay

Old 04-04-2009, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Ophelia writes
moghouse wrote:
The worst part of it was that I was aware of the toxicity, but
forgot for the brief instant I wiped my eyes. I would not have
believed that eye balls could swell!

I can believe it. I have the same reaction with sunflowers

My son has it with grass cuttings. Looks very scary, but subsides
quickly after an antihistamine tablet.

Thank goodness for antihistamines!!

Old 27-03-2009, 01:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from moghouse contains these words:
On Mar 26, 6:00*pm, "Spider" wrote:

Also the small creeping euphorbia. It is controlable, with effort, but
when clearing out a bit one day I foolishly wiped the sweat from my
eyes and within a few minutes I was on my way to hospital with
alarmingly swollen eyes - the original bug-eyed monster! *I am more
careful now.

Ouch! *Sorry to hear about the eyes .. sounds really painful. *I had the
galloping euphorbia once, but I already knew about its toxicity. *It's
surprising how many people don't know. *I was talking to local landscapers
yesterday who didn't even know the plant. *I put them very much in the
picture, and I hope they'll be careful now.

The worst part of it was that I was aware of the toxicity, but forgot
for the brief instant I wiped my eyes. I would not have believed that
eye balls could swell!

You don't want to do that after preparing chillis either - especially
the stronger ones.

Jalapinos are bad enough...

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.
Old 27-03-2009, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 26, 6:00 pm, "Spider" wrote:
[...]

Horseradish isn't too kind either.
I wonder why it's called that? Horses hate the stuff.

Bobbie..... from a cool but bright rural Dorset.
Old 27-03-2009, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bobbie wrote:

Horseradish isn't too kind either.
I wonder why it's called that? Horses hate the stuff.

"Horse" means "coarse" in that context, as in horse mackerel, horse
chestnut etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-03-2009, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
In article ,
Bobbie wrote:
Horseradish isn't too kind either.
I wonder why it's called that? Horses hate the stuff.

"Horse" means "coarse" in that context, as in horse mackerel, horse
chestnut etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thank you Nick.

Bobbie:-)

Old 27-03-2009, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Horseradish isn't too kind either.
I wonder why it's called that? Horses hate the stuff.

Horse = coarse.

OK, I'll say it before martin does - horses for coarses.

--
Rusty